二Lesson 1: Happenstance

Convenient Store

Ryou parked his car in front of the convenience store. He felt a headache after reading journals which was made worse when Amane scolded him for not resting enough. Engrossed with manga she borrowed from her brother's room, she stayed in the car. After flipping the next page, she heard a bang at the back of their car. Her face was burrowed in the book. "Who dares disturb my reading?", she was irritated since she was already at the exciting part where the male protagonist would confess. She went out prepared to give the person who recklessly bumped into their car hundreds of reasons why they should be careful on the road. The sun rays blocked the view and she only saw a portion of the person's stature. "Ah, you wanted to make a dramatic entrance as you usually do. I know you wanted my attention since I left without any notice. Here's your hug then", Amane pulled the person for a tight hug. 

"But then, I don't recall you being fond of riding bikes", Amane smelled something foreign. Instead of lavender and eucalyptus, she can smell a mixture of cucumber melon mint. She saw Ryou dropped his coffee at the sight of Amane hugging a stranger. "My bike got destroyed", the voice was gentle and soft-spoken unlike the slightly playful voice she was used to. She pull herself back and was thankful for bringing the manga which she used to cover her face. "I've mistaken you for someone, sorry", she rushed back at the car. 

Ryou went to check on his car and the lad. "It's our second time meeting each other. The last time was when you fainted on your way to the hospital. The clinic was closer so I brought you there. Are you alright?", the doctor will still be a doctor asking for their patients' welfare. "Your car", Rukawa showed a dent on the back. "It's fine. I'm thinking of changing it since my sister had been calling it lame", Ryou hummed. After three seconds, he realized what he said. "Well. It's not like we have the same surname so if you want to spy on her life, you can't check on my SNS to find her", the man panicked. 

Road

"You said we will not be meeting each other soon. It was just like yesterday", Amane whined. "Who said you can go hugging people and blaming it on me buying some medicine in a convenience store?", Ryou sighed. "Ah, my prim and proper image", the lady kept whining until they reach the school. 

Takezono High

Class 1-1

"Good morning, Amane", Yoko greeted. "Good morning, Yoko", she greeted back. "You're quite early today and yet you look fresh", the brown haired lady commented and sat in front of Amane. "Alright! So, I will be dedicating my three years of high school featuring the goddess of Takezono High, Mizutani Amane!!!", Sachi shouted gaining the attention of the other students inside the classroom. "That's being extra, Sachi", Amane gave a short laugh and covered her mouth. 

My habit of calling people on first name basis. 

"Well. Yoko asked me to call her by first name. Sorry if I-", she was about to apologize. "Even the way you can my name is so heavenly", Sachi hugged her tight. "Then, Sachi. Since we're friends, would it be okay if I tell you something?", the black haired lady asked in a soft voice. "Of course!", the lady gave a salute. Yoko can also hear them and just savored the start of their friendship. "I actually don't feel comfortable in front of the camera", Amane whispered. Sachi nodded and fixed her back. "I will do my best to protect our dear Amane. You can count on me", the blonde winked. 

Lunch Break

Yoko opened her lunchbox. Their female classmates flocked and took a photo of the lady's work of art. 

"Ohh~ what a cute lunch box. Did you make it?"

"Don't tell me you also made one for Tatsumasa-kun?!"

"Yoko-chan, can you please teach us as well?~"

"Tch! What a show off"

Amane stood as soon as she heard someone and looked around. She saw other girls from other classes. "Don't mind, Amane. Let's eat our lunch. We still have P.E for later", Yoko held her hand and felt it was trembling. "Are you alright?", Sachi noticed her face suddenly turning pale. "I'm fine", she waved her hands and lied that she wasn't able to make her lunch and excused herself to buy food in the cafeteria. 

Park

"It's just the second day and you already asked the captain of the basketball team for a showdown".

"I can't believe that her brother is such a gorilla".

"Then, do you think you can compete with that Rukawa?"

"No way, you're not even in the same league—you wouldn't stand a chance with just a single strand of hair."

"How could you call yourselves my friends?! You don't even have an inch of trust with my talent!"

Amane opened her lunchbox and sighed. She badly wanted to show it with Yoko and Sachi but her friend's aura attracts a lot of their classmates. Cafeteria food doesn't taste that bad but her brother will be suspicious of her not cooking in the morning. "That looks delicious", she head a voice and saw a redhead student in front of her peeking at the food. "Ah, Sakuragi! Don't go scaring people!", Mito pulled him back. "I got hungry from facing that gorilla", Sakuragi pouted. "You can have it if you want to", Amane offered it and the redhead didn't hesitate. "It doesn't just look good. It also taste amazing", he commented. "I also want to taste", the rest of the gang joined and played tug of war. "You're going to destroy the lunchbox", Mito calmed down the four. 

"It's fine. It's not like I'm going to use it again", Amane stood and signaled that she's leaving. "Are you crept out that you don't want it back?", Sakuragi felt heartbroken. "It's not like that. It was fun watching you enjoy the food. I just want it to have a better use. You can have it, redhead-kun", she gave a wave then started walking away. The redhead started to have hearts in his eyes. "No! I already have my eyes set on Haruko-san", he slapped himself. He looked around and his friends are having heart shaped eyes. 

"We were in the presence of greatness just now", they all said in unison. 

Mizutani Residence

She removed her shoes and saw unknown pairs of shoes. Amane heard some laughter in the living room so she prepared to face her brother's visitor. 

"Welcome home, Amane. This is my superior back in the hospital. He paid visit with his daughter", Ryou informed. "Thank you for taking care of my brother", she bowed and volunteered to prepare coffee. "Nice to meet you, I am Akagi Haruko", a pretty lady around her age appeared and helped in cutting the cake they bought. "Mizutani Amane, thanks for helping", she tried to sound as fine as possible matching Haruko's high pitched tone. 

"Your brother told us that you're studying in Takezono", Haruko engaged in a conversation smoothly. "Uhm, I was considering Shohoku but some kind of force pulled me away", the lady was carried away because of the warm aura of the new face. "I see. That's quite interesting. Do you play basketball, Mizutani-san?", the lady asked all of a sudden. "Sometime in middle high", she answered. "You see, my brother is also a basketball player", Haruko proceeded in talking about basketball and how she loves it. 

"Oh, sorry. It's all about basketball, right?", the lady finally caught herself. "No need to apologize. We love to talk about what matters the most to us", Amane smiled. "You're such a beauty, Mizutani-san, most specially when you smile", Haruko commented making Amane blush. "Shall we bring them coffee? I also prepared you a hot choco", she tried to escape the conversation. 

They are all gathered at the living room. "My daughter have hots for someone in the basketball team so she kept watching", Akagi Touru revealed. "It's not like that. I have always been interested with basketball", Haruko defended. "It seems fun to have a hobby", Amane noticed with listening at Haruko and seeing the brightness in her face. Ryou heard it and clenched his fist. 

"Just don't make hugging and tickling random people your hobby", he forced a laugh. "It was not like that. He just looked like my friend", Amane is also defending herself just like what Haruno is doing with her dad. 

Chapter end.