十一Lesson 10: Perfection

Mitsuyoshi Residence

Rukawa sits in front of the old man with a serious face. The rejection he heard was enough to make her sit like a rock. As a sportsman, it is customary and a form of respect to bid farewell and to ask for the blessing of their coach. 

A person jumped on Anzai's lap and hugged his belly. "Anzai-jiiii~!", the gleeful voice filled the room that was just occupied with silence. "Hmmm", the old man just smiled and looked down at the youngster. "Brother said that you getting better. Don't get too sick! By the way, your team did great during the district game. Sendo-san was moping around so I did the honor of showing him around the place. I can't get enough of killer stares darting on me. Anzai-ji, Sendo-san's a better player than Rukawa-kun but I guess Shohoku also have other basketball junkies aside from those tw-", Amane felt the presence of someone else and turned her head in front of Anzai. She hoped that the earth will just open and swallow her. 

Me and my big mouth!!!

She knelt properly and bowed with her head hitting the floor. "Sorry, I didn't see you there", Amane mentally scolded herself for bursting out all of a sudden. Although, in her defense, who knows that Rukawa will be visiting Anzai on a weekend. The lady raised her head and saw that the ace finished his drink. "I'll go and refill your tea", she volunteered and grabbed on the cup. 

Kitchen

Amane sighed and received a pat on the back. It was the old man's wife. "It's been a while, dear", Mitsuyoshi Kanna smiled. "I just came by to drop Anzai-ji's medicine. Who knew that he had a visitor", the lady pressed her lips and squinted her eyes. "It's a good thing you came. The atmosphere went thick just a while ago", Kanna narrated about Rukawa telling his coach that he will go to America to improve himself. 

"So, he's not satisfied with his level. Of course, he is not", Amane nodded and peeked at the two having a staring competition. "I'll be leaving, Coach. Thank you for letting me in", Rukawa stood and bowed. "Think about it again. Before going to America, why don't you become Japan's number one player first", he reminded. 

As the lad left, Amane hid behind the post. 

Street

Rukawa walks with questions in mind. A car honked at him. "Hop in", Kanna invited. The tall lad nodded and thought that it would spare him from the heat. 

Car

"Hi there", Amane waved and looked away. She stayed quite far from the lad since they are both sitting on the backseat. "You might be curious of Anzai's rejection for your to go to America", Kanna can see him from the front mirror. After sometime, the coach's wife informed him about the story of a player who went to America. 

"It takes a lot to be the best in our craft but a good master is a blessing", Amane commented with a calm face. "Uhm", Rukawa nodded in agreement. "Well, it's still your choice. Though, Coach is right. You have to learn English, like super crazy. They have a lot of slangs in there", she panicked and started blabbering about the difference of culture. 

After sometime, they became silent. One, because Rukawa already is sleeping. Amane stared at the road and have some things in mind. Kanna just respected the lady's quiet moment.

I wonder where I am also going. 

Having a hobby seems exciting. 

 The old lady is secretly admiring how the energetic child that Ryou brought in their home turned out to still be surrounded with brightness. She's feeling awkward in front of Rukawa but that is just a part of growing up.