五Lesson 4: Attention and Affection

Takezono High

Gymnasium

"We're playing basketball", the teacher announced. "Here we go! It's time to show what we're made of!", the class president shouted. 

"We're a bunch of nerds, Class President. Don't expect too much from us". 

"You're quite tall, Mizutani. Do you think you can give at least three or six scores for us?", some of the female students asked. "I'll try", she gave a small smile. After some time, they were grouped into the best five. They going to play with the other class. 

"Shimamura, show what your boyfriend had been teaching you!", the group teased. 

"Are you alright? You seem worried", Yoko noticed. "I'm fine. Sorry for making you worried. The game haven't started yet", Amane apologized. "We're not going to get a reward or anything like that but let's do our best", Yoko patted her back. 

Since Amane was the tallest in her class, she was chosen as the center. She easily slapped the ball towards her teammates. Yoko was able to make a shot. 

"Go! Shimamura! Oda-kun will be thrilled if he knew you won!!!", the crowd cheered. "Ha! As if she's there watching him train. "If I know, she's not that supportive. She's just using her boyfriend's name to be famous", Amane heard someone from their opponent. It was the girl with sharp eyes and high-ponytail. The lady looked at Yoko concerned if she heard it. The game continued and class 1 is leading. "You don't really hold the ball that long", Yoko noticed as they run to the opponent's area. "If you hold the ball too long, people will have their eyes on you. The crowd will follow where the ball is", the lady explained. "I was actually looking for the perfect time to tell you, Amane. It seems that you don't like attention but then, I think you don't know that you really stand out too much even without doing anything and there's nothing wrong with that", Yoko jumped and caught the ball that was passed. "It's our turn", she passed the ball to Amane. She stopped at the middle. 

Amane, it's not your fault that you shine bright. Your presence is something you cannot unsee. That's why it's not difficult to look for you. I hope you'd use that to your advantage in a good way. 

She looked at the score and they are two scores behind. The time is almost over. She looked at Yoko who had the most genuine smile. The lady knows that even if she doesn't make the shot, Yoko will still be happy that she tried. Amane jumped and had her eyes on the basket. The moment the ball left her hand, she already knew they won. The teacher whistled and was dumbfounded with the half-court shot that was done by a first year high school female student. The room was filled with cheer.  The rest of her teammate ran to embrace her. "We won!!!", the jumped in glee. 

After sometime, the first years are preparing to leave the room. Amane approached the student with high-ponytail. Yoko followed her. "Yoko supports Tatsumasa-kun with the best that she can. Letting him focus and not worrying about making her wait is one way of clearing his thoughts. Yoko prepares meal for him and also writes notes every time. She makes sure that Tatsumasa-kun is in best shape before playing any game and prepares bandages and muscle sprain spray just in case", Amane clenched her fist. "And never did she use her boyfriend as a platform to shine. Yoko has her own brightness", she said slightly raising her voice. "Amane, it's fine. Our teacher is calling us", the pretty lady tried to pull her away seeing the annoyed look from the other girls. 

Clinic

Amane entered the clinic with such drained energy. Her classmates had been pestering her to do another half-court shot. It was just a lucky shot. She trained with Sendo some years ago but it was just a year and a half. "Your brother is still at the hospital", Erina informed but the tired lady wasn't able to hear her. "Ah, Erina-san. Thanks for always taking care of my brother", she said then went directly to her brother's office.