Prologue: Within Those Two Years

Department Store

"Why do you need jogging shoes? It's not like you're going to use it", Amane pouted while following his brother. "Just help me out", the doctor sighed and continued scanning the shoes. On a random day such as this, Amane saw a figure in the corner of her eyes. 

It's not like you're going to meet him soon. 

"Oh, Rukawa. Are you also looking for a new shoe?", Ryo waved his hand and approached the high schooler. "Mine got worn out during the last game", Rukawa nodded. "I knew you would be able to reach the finals", Amane's head popped from her brother's shoulder. "Were you watching?", the lad asked. "Of course. I was at the far end because I got there late. The place was packed and there are no available seats", Amane slightly pouted. "Thanks", Rukawa gave a slight nod of the head. Ryo turned around and saw his sister's flushed face. "Youth~ I'll be working after this but why don't you take time to freshen up? There's a nice ice cream area at the next turn", the doctor pointed outside. Amane's eyes brightened and mentally thanked her brother for taking a hint. 

Ice Cream Shop

After ordering, Amane and Rukawa took their seat at the side of the shop. They can see the passerbies. "You've been doing a lot of school activities. Looks tiring", Rukawa commented. He could see Amane's update on her SNS. "It's fun. I don't get to repeat my high school years. Just like how you're making the best of your years playing basketball, I am also just having as much fun", the school president explained. "You're different from the first time I saw you", Rukawa scooped into the ice cream. 

"What do you mean?", Amane gulped. "You've become more like who you were", he answered. That sentence made the lady feel warm in her heart and just nodded. "Sorry, Rukawa-kun. I thought you just cared about basketball. You've got that observant side of you and it's amazing", Amane apologized. "I care about other matters as well", he placed the spoon inside his mouth and looked at Amane's eyes. It was a lengthy 10-seconds and it made the lady feel nervous. "Want to play on one with me after this?", he invited. Amane let out a short laugh. What was she expecting?

"Sure, maybe this time, I'd be able to score even just one basket", she gave a thumbs up. 

Present

America- University

Amane, a first-year fine arts student, with her hair cut short, stands in front of the gymnasium. She's watching the lad who grew a few more inches having a close match with competent basketball players. 

The reason why I always ask for one on one is for you to also enjoy something that I do personally. 

The ball rolled on her feet. She picked it up and passed it to the spicky black-haired. "Yo", he greeted. "I'm just done with my class. I think you're also wrapping up the practice. I will be waiting for you at the cafeteria", Amane waved her hands. "Did something happen?", Rukawa dropped his hand on the lady's head. He slightly shook her head. "I was just remembering something. I kind of miss home", Amane answered. "I'll be changing my clothes", the lad heard his teammate calling. Some of her classmates were also waving at the lad who just gave a polite nod of the head. 

"Your boyfriend is such a hottie"

"Mind sharing him with me"

"We're just kidding but I hope we'd also be able to find a Japanese guy like him". 

Cafeteria

Amane was a little disappointed with Rukawa not saying anything about her missing home. She gave a deep sigh and opened her phone. She called her friend. 

"You called. We're in a different time zone". 

"You're up this time. I know you're just done binge watching that drama series. How are you, Yuzuru?". 

"Did something happen there? Did that basketball junkie started to have his fan club?"

"I think he will always have one even if we move from one country to another"

"Then, what would you like to whine about this time? If its not about him not spending time with you, I will listen. Spare me from being caught with your love conflicts". 

"Yuzuru. I just miss home. But now that I was able to hear your voice. I think I got recharged". 

"You were able to hold up for a year. Whatever will be your decision, you know that your brother and I share the same sentiments. We'd support you. When you went there, we accepted it. If you want to come back in Japan, we will do the same"

"Don't make such tempting suggestion~"

"Amane, I just want to remind you why you went to America. You said that you're thrilled that Rukawa is standing on the stage where he always wanted to. How about you? Both actor and actress can perform but it doesn't always have to be at the same platform". 

"Uhm. Thank you Yuzuru. You always know what to say". 

"Thank me once you're able to make up your mind". 

After sometime, the lady ended the call. She saw Rukawa making his way on the cafeteria. An international student went close to him and engaged in a conversation. The lad pointed somewhere and gave a slight bow of the head. 

He sat in front of the lady. The man was carrying a paper bag. Amane wondered if it is a new shoes. Rukawa noticed her looking at it. He passed it to the lady. "Open it", he said then looked away. Amane received it and slowly opened it. Her eyes turned teary. She just covered her eyes with her arms and gave a short laugh. 

"The truth is, I wanted to go back to Japan. America is fun and I'm learning a lot. But then, I just realized that this is not the stage I wanted to perform not is Japan", Amane brought the globe out. It was one with scratch it feature. The state where they are in is already scratched. "Do what you want, Amane. There's nothing I would ever ask for but to see you have lots and lots of fun", Rukawa gave a small smile. "Kaede, thank you", she stood and hugged the man. Students in the cafeteria are looking at them. Rukawa was a little embarrassed but he hugged back. "What I realized with the time we spent together, you're not someone who can be pinned in one location", Rukawa leaned his head on the lady's chest. "To keep me grounded, don't worry, you're the only person I pinned to", Amane smiled and broke the hug. "Shall we go home?", she invited. 

"It will be a little lonely in the apartment. How about you let your friend move in?", Amane suggested. "Come to think of it, Miyagi-san said something about being accepted for a scholarship", the lad informed. "That'll be so much nostalgic", Amane chuckled. 

Chapter end.