十二Lesson 11: Honest to the Self

Takezono High

Pool

"It's so hot!!!", Sachi whined. "It's a good thing that both our classes are in charge of cleaning the pool", Yoko smiled. "How can you say that it is a good thing?", the lady complained and started playing with water. Amane was just scrubbing the tiles silently. Yoko was curious why she was quiet so she checked on her. "Amane, are you al-", she grabbed the lady's shoulder to make her face toward her and was startled to see her with dark circled eyes. "I wasn't able to sleep at night", Amane informed. "Is that just for one night? How bad could an overnight be if you are to join?", Yoko commented with concern. "Speaking of overnight, I am to join the upperclassmen for an intense review at their house", the lady recalled. "So you agreed with joining the science quiz bee", Sachi pointed the hose on the black haired and was soaked in water. 

"Uhm, I guess I also need to prove what I just told Sendo-san few days ago", she chuckled. "I know you'll do great once you put your mind into it. Not mentioning about being the top of the food chain. Iki-san was so devastated. She even perfected attending cram school", Yoko pointed at the girl wearing eyeglasses crying on the side of the pool. 

-After Class-

Street

Amane reached the upperclassman's house and noticed that the neighbors are quite lively. "You're here", Fukazawa Riku waved her hand. She's the school's president and still active in many competition. "The others are still doing cram school so they'll be here in a while", the lady with short hair and wide circle eyeglasses informed. "I can come back later", Amane hesitated to enter. The school president always looked strict and proper in school. She might comment on why Amane is wearing her P.E jogging pants. 

"I baked some cookies so I hope it won't bother you if you have the first taste", Riku's tone wasn't a request, it sounded as if she was imposing for her to taste the cookies. 

Fukuzawa's Residence

Amane entered and saw that the lady is alone. The house doesn't have a sign that someone is living with her. Riku turned and noticed her underclassman observing the house. "My father is a police and mother is a fashion designer. They don't usually come home since their workplace is their base", Riku saved the younger lady from thinking. "I look up to independent people", Amane gave a salute. "The salute is not necessary, Mizutani", the president led her to the kitchen. 

Kitchen

As soon as Amane entered the kitchen, she already regretted agreeing to be the cupbearer for those that are yet to come. The smell told her something about the cookies... burnt. 

"School President, how long have you been baking?", the lady politely asked. "It is my first time. I usually buy my food outside. Since it will be the first time I will have visitors, I might as well make homemade cookies", Riku tilted her head with an innocent look. "Senpai, there is still approximately 40 minutes before the others arrive. Let's do some experiments", Amane suggested and the school president just nodded. They both wore aprons. 

So, we have to put the needed dough in the fridge for around 15 minutes. 

While waiting, let's make some chocolate ones as well. 

Senpai, you're using such a strong flavor. 

Salt is good to neutralize the taste. 

After sometime, the two placed the pan on the oven. Riku observed a genuine smile from the underclassman. At first, she was intimidated to see her. There was something about her presence that tells her that she's a better in everything. It was just a waste that the lady didn't join any club or even competition. This time around, the first year representative got sick so she was pulled out last minute.  

"Do you like cooking, Mizutani?", Riku sat on the chair. She knew that her cookies was a failure. She wasn't planning to give it to the others anyways. It just happened that Amane came before she even disposes of the cookies. Amane took one of her burnt cookies. "They're crunchy, senpai. You must have left the oven in high temperature", she commented. "The truth is, I wasn't actually going to give it to the others. I was just trying to see your reaction", the president revealed. Amane choked and Riku offered a glass of water. 

They both sat in front of each other. "What is causing you to hesitate, Mizutani? I went to your middle high school to ask around and I heard that you were living a dream back then", Riku crossed her arm ready to interrogate the girl. "Eh~ You went there to ask around? There's nothing interesting about me. Sorry that I wasted your time", the lady scratched the back of her nape. "I didn't waste my time. I was able to satisfy my curiosity by going there", Riku corrected. 

"Was it because of the bullying?", Riku opened the topic making Amane's eyes widen. "You might have asked too much that you were able to dug into that", Amane gulped and sat properly. "Ever since that incident, you didn't join any competition and you even dropped your club activities. According to your adviser, you grades dropped but still not enough to make you lose being the top student", the president added. There was a moment of silence between the two. She's been searching for this kind of atmosphere and an avenue for her to confess. 

"It was frightening", Amane opened her mouth. "Uhm", Riku nodded. "Back then, it was just fun having to learn things fast and easier. I didn't think of anything else. Wow! There's so much thing in this world that I can do. I didn't care about being the winner or being called as the best. That's also the reason why I didn't take step higher other than district and prefectural games and competition. I didn't have the appetite of competition. I was ignorant about how other people felt. It was a spot that they had been working for days, weeks, months and years and I just called it a hobby in front of them. If I knew about these things earlier, I couldn't have done things half-heartedly. I should have pushed harder and didn't let them score out of pity. They didn't deserve it", Amane covered her face. 

"If I would have been the one you were competing with, I would have punched you", Riku commented. "You're harsh, President", Amane gave a short chuckle. "The bullying took the cake. My late realization and that incident woke me up. It scarred me. It made me also think if everything I done was just to show off. It was as if my ears were finally opened to the comments of many. I was bothered even with the smallest things that I never cared before", the lady opened her palm and saw Riku's calm face. She now understood why the strict and stern lady was loved by many regardless of how many times she scolds them. There is concern in her eyes.

She leaned forward and patted Amane's head. "People will always talk. Let them run their mouths. And have faith in yourself with a touch of little pride", Riku lifted the lady's chin and gave a smile. The doorbell rang. 

-Review Session Ended-

Street

Amane bid farewell to the others. She stared at the noisy neighbor's house and saw a silhouette of someone.  She gave a wave and the lad squinted his eyes. He is still sleepy and the overnight review session makes him more crave for sleep. 

"Do you live here?", she made her voice a little louder. The lad pointed at the gate post where the family's name is displayed. "Akagi", the lady read. She gasped and nodded. Amane gave a thumbs up to Rukawa who was confused of what the signal was for. 

His phone rang. 

Way to go. I thought you were only thinking of basketball. We were reviewing next door. See you around. -Amane. 

Chapter end.