The Diaper Incident

So far sophomore year had been going well. Sean was still an awesome boyfriend, Axl and I had gotten past our weird awkward stage, and Morgan had moved to Florida. 

I was spending the day with Sue, I felt like I had been neglecting her indirectly while avoiding Axl, and I had some quality time with Sue to catch up on. 

As it turned out, Sean was also at the Heck's house, working on a project with Axl. Which was giving Sue a case of the giggles. 

I was a middle school girl once, I knew what it was like to have a school-girl crush. And as Sue's unofficial big sister, I was helping her pen a love note to give to her crush. 

She didn't tell me, but I knew it was Sean. Call me crazy, but I wasn't threatened by a thirteen year old who wore leg warmers hitting on my boyfriend. 

"Kenzie, I'm heading to work, I'll see you tonight." Sean popped into Sue's room to tell me goodbye. 

"I'll walk out with you, I'm leaving too. Sue has to get to babysitting." 

"Oh where are you headed? I'd be happy to give you a ride, Sue." Sean told the girl. 

She answered by bursting into giggles. 

***

The project was for science, and my partner was Darrin. He was totally sweet, but not the brightest kid in class. He suggested working on the project at Axl's house, I knew he just wanted to hangout with Sean and Axl, but I didn't mind. I got to see Sue some more and it meant Darrin would leave me alone to work on the porject. 

"Kenzie, what are you doing here?" Sue answered the door. 

"I'm here to do my science project with Darrin. Is he here yet?" 

"No he's not, wanna watch us play video games until he is?" Sean called to me. 

I declined his very temping offer and followed Sue to her room to get started on my project and go over her plan to profess her love to my boyfriend. 

"So then I'll put the note in his locker and he'll read it and fall in love with me, is that a good plan?" She gave me the letter to read. 

"Oh yeah, Sean will love this." I said. 

She got red in the face. "Sean? Who said anything about Sean? This is for a boy at my school." 

***

The best part about being in high school was all my friends were, too. Unfortunately for Sue, her best friend was also a middle schooler. 

The letter Sue wrote for Sean was a sweet note about her feelings for him, Carly had helped her to rewrite it to be a realy cringe-y love poem about braces and feelings, and she used three different colors of ink. She somehow managed to talk herself out of giving it to him when her ex boyfriend, Brad, came through the door as she was about to give it to him. Thank goodess. 

The three of us were headed to get dinner, Sue declined our offer to come as it would be "moving too fast" and "she needed to focus on cross country", but somehow the poem had gotten into Axl's car. 

Sean noticed it, picking it up to read it. 

"Two doves, riding on a rainbow of love?" Sean read, confused as to why this was in Axl's car, "Kenzie did you write this?" He turned to the back seat where I was sitting. 

"No, uh, that was me. I was just messing around, thought they'd be good lyrics. For yaknow a song." Axl grabbed the paper from Sean and tossed it out the car window. 

I smiled, Axl sticking up for Sue? Maybe he was maturing. Or maybe it was just all the video games he had been playing rotting his brain. 

Either way it was nice to see.