The Cool House

Everyone wanted to hangout at the Donahues. It was the unspoken "cool house".

It was Saturday afternoon, which meant that everyone was in Sean's basement playing foosball and hanging out.

I liked hanging out with everyone, and I felt like I really had a solid group of friend now, however sometimes I wished that Sean and I could hangout alone.

Mostly this was because of Axl. Since our interaction the night he and Morgan broke up hes been purposely rubbing in my face all the girls he's with. He also has began to follow Sean and I around everywhere he could.

  A few times Axl has even walked in on us in his room, he claims he didnt know what we were doing but we all know he knows what he was doing.

  ***

  "Kenzie you wanna come hangout at Axl's with me tonight? His parents got a pool table in the basement, maybe my house is gonna be retiring from its "cool house" position." Sean said, putting his arm around my shoulders.

"Yeah sounds good." I responded.

  I guess I should be careful what I wish for.

  Axl's house being the place to be was so much worse than Sean's.

Mrs Donahue kept track of who was there and made sure people left at a decent hour. At the Hecks there was no control, there was even a group of kids from the next town over. Nobody knew how they knew Axl, it seemed Axl didn't either.

  "Ken you wanna head home?" Sean approached me, noticing how many people were now in the house.

  "She doesn't need to leave with you, she lives next door Sean." Axls voice carried through the room.

  "Well we came together, it's the gentlemanly thing to do to make sure she gets home safe." Sean replied simply.

  The boys had been best friends for a long time, and I didnt like the strain being put on their friendship because of our relationship. But again, it was mostly Axl who was being a baby about it.

  Sean helped me put on my coat and we were off. When we got to my front porch he took a seat on my porch swing. A sense of deja vu washed over me at the sight.

  "Sean.. are you happy? With me I mean?" I asked unsurely.

  "Of course I am, where's this coming from?" Sean stood up.

  "Just that things with Axl are a little weird now, and it seems like we dint hangout alone a lot and I just thought that maybe-"

  "I'm not worried about us sleeping together, if that's what you're talking about." Sean cut me off.

  "Oh. Good because-"

  "I'm with you because you make me happy Ken. I've always kinda had a crush on you but it was always unspoken that you were off limits because of Axl. And seeing how he treated you, how Rick treated you... I dont know I just knew I could treat you better. That's what sort of helped me get over my shyness that night." Sean told me, holding my hand in his.

My heart melted at his words. Of course Sean didn't care about sex. He was the sweetest boy in Orson. I didnt see what I was ever worried about.

  "Sean... I love you." I said, meaning it totally and completely.

  "I love you too Kenzie." Sean replied, planting a kiss in my forehead.