Average Rules

Four weeks. 

That's how long I was in my temporary foster home. 

My mother had been sent to a rehabilitation center and had, apparently, turned her whole life around. 

I still wasn't convinced. 

I had moved back into my room of my now spotless house. One condition of my mother regaining custody was that we had once a week visits from my social worker. 

Something to look forward to, I guess. 

A knock at my door pulled me from putting my clothes back in their drawers. 

I went to my front door to find Axl standing on my porch.

"Ax?"

"Hey, just wanted to check on ya is all. Haven't seen you in a few weeks, so uh." He said, lamely. 

"Well you've checked in. So-" I went to close the door. 

"Wait Kenzie!" He stopped me, "I have something to say." 

He sat on my porch swing and gestured for me to follow.  

After I sat he started, "I know I haven't been much of a best friend this year and I'm sorry. Maybe it was a mistake for us to ruin or friendship like we did or maybe I just made a mistake in letting you go. Either way, I just.... I'm sorry Kenzie. You've had to deal with a lot of stuff this year and I made you go through it alone." 

I didn't know what to say to him, so instead I just cried. 

Axl pulled me into a hug, rubbing my back. 

I didn't know how long we stayed like that, but I didn't want to pull away.

I knew once I did things would be awkward. I'd have to go back inside and face my mother, Sean would want to know why Axl had been by to see me, and of course, I had no idea why. 

This back and forth friendship with Axl had been exhausting, and I still didn't know if his apology meant we'd be best friends again or if we'd go back to being strangers. 

So, instead of facing reality, I let Axl hold me a little longer. I felt invincible in the embrace of my very best friend. 

I wanted to keep this feeling forever.