The Neighbor

My mother's new hobby was dropping by at around one in the morning to take a shower and eat, then leave. I know she does this because she leaves a mess for me to deal with when she leaves.

   "At least I know shes safe I guess." I said as I scrubbed at the dishes she left the day before.

   Today was Saturday, which meant I had nothing to do. Rick was out of town with his parents, and that was about the extent of my friends.

  I never considered Deb or Court or any of the other cheerleaders my friends, but at least I could've gone to the mall with them or gotten lunch.

   Ever since I started dating Rick I've noticed myself pushing other people away. I almost only hangout with him and I think everyone has started to notice.

   "Now what are you accusing my here boys of them Frankie?" I heard a yell from next door.

   The voice belonged to Rita Glossner, she lived down the street with her large supply of children world varying ages. They werent exactly what you would classify as, well, "classy."

   "Is there a problem Ms Glossner?" I called out from my front porch.

   "Not yet there isn't. But this here woman is accusing my boys of fighting with her daughter." Ms Glossner replied.

  Now the situation had become personal, if those Glossner boys were hitting on Sue, I was going to have to put a stop to it.

  "Well Ms Glossner, I dont think Sue is one to lie about anything really, but especially not something as serious as this." I tried to reason with the woman.

  However Rita Glossner is not someone to be reasoned with.

   "Oh so you're calling me a liar then?"

  "No, just your sons actually." I replied

  Eventually Rita left, promising she was gonna "get me" and Frankie and I were left with peace.

  "Thanks Kenzie, you're quite intimidating for such a small girl." Frankie said once Rita was out of earshot.

   "Yeah well my mom and I get into sometimes, so I've had some practice I guess." I said, trying to sound lighthearted.

Before frankie could express concern, Sue came bounding out into the front yard. She told me all about how she and her friend Carlie had been challenged to a fight and she needed my help to "choreograph" a routine.

  Yeah. To "kung fu fighting". She was gonna get her ass kicked.