Back to School

It was the first day of sophomore year, and I was determined to make this year great. My mom had been working regularly and attending her AA meetings, Sean and I were still dating, and Axl and I hadn't talked all summer. 

I had spent my summer with my mom in Florida. She still had some friends down there from her gambling days, and we got to stay at their beach house. We spent every day at the beach, and even went to DisneyWorld. It was a good summer, my mom and I were back on good terms. Or at least on the surface. 

I gave myself one last look in the mirror and headed out the door to my first day of sophomore year. 

"Bye Mackenzie have a great day." My mom called after me as I left. 

I smiled and gave her a wave on my way out 

***

"Kenz why are you taking all these smart people classes? You're only a sophomore." Sean teased me, looking at my schedule. 

"I'm trying to get into a good college, Sean. Not all of us are going to get a football scholarship." I responded. 

Sean put his arm around me and handed back my schedule. 

"It is way too early to be stressing about college babe. But if that's what we're doing then I'll talk to the office and get myself into some smart classes, too." 

I smiled. I loved Sean. He was so supportive, no matter what. He even came to my cheer competition this past weekend and sat front row. Sean was the most perfect boyfriend in every way. 

*** 

After a long first day and a stressful cheer practice, I was finally home. I had some homework to do, but it could wait. My mom was making dinner, and I wanted to soak up the normalacy before it went away again. 

"How was your day?" She asked, stiring the pot on the stove. 

"It was good. It'll be a hard semester but I got it." 

"Any cute boys in your classes?" She teased. 

I laughed. I was sixteen and this was the first time my mom and I were gossiping about boys. Despite me being on my third boyfriend. 

"Um well I wasn't really looking since I do have a boyfriend." I answered. 

"Well you can look at the menu honey, you just can't order." She sassed. 

I smiled at my mom, trying not to think to hard about what she meant by that. 

"How is Axl, anyway?" She scooped some soup into a bowl, handing it to me. 

"Beats me, we haven't talked in a few months." 

She frowned, "Isn't he your boyfriend?"

I gave her a look. 

"Oh I just thought... well he's just been so painfully in love with you since you were kids. I thought you two would be together by now." She took a spoonful of soup to her lips. 

"Well Axl has some maturing to do before he gets into a serious relationship. And I'm looking for something serious right now." 

"You always did take everything so seriously." My mom said, dumping her soup into the sink. 

I let that comment slide, knowing she was partly right. 

"I still can't cook, wanna get a burger or something?" She asked, getting her car keys. 

"Okay mom." I smiled. 

Mother and daughter going out for burgers to celebrate the start of a new school year. That was normal. I loved it.