The Cheerleader

"Rick put me down!" I squealed to my now boyfriend Rick as he carried me around my backyard.

  "As you wish, m'lady." Rick said as he threw me into the pool.

  "Oh you are so dead" I said, pulling him in with me.

   We wrestled around for a while in the water, Rick winning every match of course.

   Rick asked me to be his girlfriend at the homecoming dance the previous weekend. I of course said yes. He was so sweet and thoughtful, he was like the most picture perfect boyfriend ever.

  "Hey Kenzie?" The voice of Mr Heck rang out over the fence.

"Oh Mr Heck, hi." I said, getting out of the pool.

  "Yeah hi. Um are your folks home? We tried knocking."

  "Oh no my mom's at work right now, what can I do for you?" I said, getting nervous I was in trouble or something.

  "Our washer and dryer are broken, amd I was just wondering if we would maybe use yours?"

  "Oh my goodness of course! Here come on in." I said, opening the gate.

  Sue and her dad walked through the garden and into the house, I showed them to my laundry room and then went back out to Rick.

  "Hey Mackenzie, my dad just called and he needs me home for some yard work, can we pick this up later?" He said, kissing me on the cheek.

  "Totally, just call me tonight okay?" I said, waving goodbye.

   "He's cute." Axl's voice rang through the yard.

  "Yep and he's taken, sorry to ruin your fantasy there Ax." I said, going back into the house.

  "You called me Ax." Axl said softly.

  "Yeah that's your name. Or do you only answer to the Ax-man now?" I answered.

  "No it's just.... nevermind." Axl turned to leave the yard "Are you happy? With Rick I mean?"

  "Yes Axl. I am." I said, going into the house.

  I went into the kitchen, trying to get the butterflies out of my stomach.

  "You called me Ax." Played through my head as I made myself dinner.

   I hated that Axl and I werent friends anymore. I hated that that meant I wasnt as close with his family. Most of all I hated that I still thought about him.

  My mind was filled with Axl and memories of our childhood as I waited around for my phone to ring. I wanted to talk to Rick, get my mind of Axl and go to bed.

  When my phone did ring, it wasnt Rick who was calling. It was Sue.

  "Hey Susie-Q, what's up with you?" I answered as I always did.