The Front Door

"And then they finally realized that they left me at the school." I finished my story about how I was left at a cheer competition last month.

  I had been eating dinner with the Hecks every night since the day of the block party. Axl walked me home every night. He also kissed me goodnight every night.

  "Oh my goodness that is just awful." Frankie responded.

  "I would've left you too if I was them." Axl said, kicking me under the table.

  "Yeah yeah." I said getting up to clear my place.

  I washed the dishes with Sue as I did every night. Today Sue was complaining about how awful her school pictures were and how she wanted to retake them.

  I offered to help her with her hair and makeup, which she gladly accepted.

  "Sue quit hogging Kenzie, some of us wanna hangout with her." Axl said dramatically.

  "I think that's my cue. Stop by tomorrow morning and I'll do your hair." I said, turning to Axl.

   Axl helped me into my coat, and we headed outside.

  "Wanna build a snowman?" Axl asked childishly.

  "Of course I do." I said, getting down to help.

  What we ended up with could not be called a snowman, but Axl was happy with it nonetheless. He begged me to pose for a picture with it, which he of course posted to facebook. (A/N its 2009 bear with me)

   We finally headed home and Axl took his regular spot on my porch swing. He seemed much quieter than normal, but I didnt say anything.

  "Mackenzie?" He asked, using my full name.

  "Uh oh full name, am I in trouble?" I joked.

  "No I just wanted to make this sound more formal or something. Uh gosh. Wiolyoubemygirlfriend?" He rushed all his words together, of course I knew what he said but I wanted to torture him further.

  "Huh?"

  "Will you be my... be my girlfriend?" He finally asked.

  "Duh." I said, putting my head on his shoulder.

  He kissed the top of my head, and we sat there for a few minutes until he decided he had to go home.

Next morning

  I was finishing my hair for school that morning when someone knocked on my door.

  "That must be Sue." I said to myself as i got up to answer it.

   "I thought it was you!" I said when I opened the door to reveal Sue in all her glory.

   We made way to my bathroom and got to work on her hair.

   "I want it to look like yours. Your hair is always so fluffy and perfect." Sue said

   "The secret is to be too lazy to brush it and wear it in braids like everyday." I said, brushing through her hair.

  As I finished up her hair, a car horn sounded outside my house.

   "Oh that's Deb and Courty, they drive me to school." I said handing Sue my lip gloss to use.

  "Well I better get home then." Sue replied.

  "What? No you're riding with us come on!" I said, grabbing her arm.

  "Are you serious? Me? A middle schooler riding with high school cheerleaders?" Sie went giddy with excitement.

  The ride to school went as it usually did, music blasting, curb hitting, lip gloss applying. Sue loved very minute of it. Deb and Courtney were a little irritated to drive a seventh grader to school but when I told them she was Axl's sister they perked up real quick.

   The school day went by quickly, which I was grateful for. Today was the first official football game I would be cheering at with Axl as my official boyfriend. I was pretty excited to say the least.

   "Mackenzie! Quick question, you know Axl pretty well right?" Deb came up to my locker after school.

  "Yes, why?" I responded, growing tired of her obsession with him.

   "I really want him to notice me at tonight's game and I was wondering what-"

  "Wanna impress who?" Axl cut in, putting his arm around me.

  "Oh uh. Sean Donahue. Hes so cute don't you think Mackenzie?" Deb changed her tune real quick.

  "Oh yeah, you two would be adorable together." I said, being led away by Axl.

  "She wants you." I said, once we were out if earshot.

  "Oh she wants me bad." Axl replied.