Chapter 48

48

Stumbling into her, Rayne swore softly. "Sorry, I'm a little shaky after shifting."

Kelsey turned and put a hand on her shoulder. "It's okay." Taking a deep breath, she looked around, nothing but trees, no matter where she looked. "I wish I could see more, maybe then I could figure out where we are."

Rayne bent over, resting her hands on her knees, and took a few breaths. "Where we are, is the middle of an endless forest." Lifting her head, she gave her a lopsided smile. "I loved the trees. When I first arrived at Devin's they were so peaceful." Standing, she sighed, "Trees even saved me when I was stranded in a storm," she shook her head when Kelsey gave her a curious look. "A long story that I don't have the energy to tell right now." Groaning, she bent over and lifted one of her feet. "You know, the next time we're going to be kidnapped, remind me to put shoes on first."

"I'll make a note of that." Kelsey looked up at the tops of the trees. It would be easier to travel on the road, but they had agreed that it would be a really great way for the tall partner to find them when he returned to the pit. Using the trees as cover had seemed like a great idea. "I completely suck at climbing trees, or I'd shimmy my way up and see if I could find us a landmark." If she'd been wearing jeans, she might attempt it, but in shorts and bare feet, not a chance.

Rayne chuckled. "Shimmy is a dance to me, so I'm afraid I'm less than helpful there too." She frowned at Kelsey. "I'm feeling very inadequate today."

Shaking her head, Kelsey grinned. "Well, your wolf was more than helpful, so you're forgiven." She looked up at the tree tops again. "Rayne?"

"Hmm?"

She looked over to see Rayne turning and looking through the bush. "Could you talk me through a shift?"

Rayne gave her a look full of doubt. "I don't know. I've only been on the receiving end myself, until I went all wolfie on that guy back there."

Pulling her shirt over her head, she dropped it on the ground. "Gage is going to kill me, he told me to stay out of the trees."

Rayne picked up her shirt and then held her hand out for her shorts. "I'm sure he'll be very forgiving in this instance."

Kelsey rolled her eyes at her. "You don't know Gage."

"No, but I know men, and I know my own mate isn't going to let me out of his sight, or possibly his arms for the next year or so after this. So, the sooner we find our way back to them, the shorter the trail of dead bodies is going to be."

Shooting her a shocked look, them thinking a few seconds more, Kelsey nodded. "Good point." Exhaling, she got down on her knees in the pine needles. "Let's do this." Closing her eyes, she reached for her cat, hoping they could do this. With a prickle of familiarity, she realized her cat was right there with her, moving against her, ready. "Okay," she whispered and put her hands on the ground. "Let's do this."

She focused on the cat that felt like it was prowling along the inside of her body, Rayne's voice was a soothing melody to her ears as she told her to relax and let it happen. This time she expected the snapping bones, and they shifted, but she still gasped each time it happened. Her body felt like a puzzle that was shifting into place. It wasn't painful, but it was such a weird feeling that it still freaked her out.

Blinking, she looked down and realized she was seeing the world through feline eyes. Everything was so different, more detailed and vibrant. Stretching, she looked up at Rayne.

"Well, you are positively gorgeous," she frowned, "and huge." Sighing, she tilted her head. "I'm really feeling insignificant right now."

Shaking her large head, Kelsey moved over and rubbed against her. Rayne laughed and ran a hand over her shoulder.