Chapter 20

20

Gage fought to control the jealousy that hit him as soon as he spotted Noah sitting on the porch. He'd sent the man here for Christ sakes. Noah stood up when he saw him and came down steps toward him. Gage glanced at the house.

"I only saw her for a minute. She brought me out a sandwich and drink then went back inside." He motioned to Gage's truck. "I cleaned the inside of your truck to kill time." He cleared his throat and looked around. "Thanks for trusting me." He gave Gage and uncomfortable look. "I've...I never thought I'd feel," he shrugged like he couldn't find the right words, "protective like this." He motioned to the house.

It dawned on Gage then that he'd have to contend with Noah's feelings toward Kelsey as well as the rest of the guys. He snorted. "Yeah, seems to be going around." He rubbed his chest that still felt tight after Blair's confession.

Noah winced. "Ah, Blair."

Head jerking up he looked at him. "You knew?"

Noah shrugged. "His pheromones are off the charts whenever she's in sight."

Gage shook his head, he felt inadequate suddenly.

Noah gave him a brief smile before a serious mask covered his face. "When you have to suppress the urge to shift, it seems to enhance all of your other senses."

Hearing that made him feel a little better, but not by much. He'd known Blair all his life and still had no clue how he'd missed all the signs, senses or not. "It's been a hell of a last few days."

Noah nodded. "You guys aren't boring, I'll give you that."

Grinning, Gage shook his head. "Apparently not." He gripped Noah's shoulder and squeezed before dropping his hand down. "Get out of here. I have to go face reality."

"It's been quiet for about an hour, I think she may have gone to sleep. She's distraught, Gage."

Gage nodded, not even questioning that Noah could hear what was going on inside the house. Later, when life settled a bit, or as much as it would, he had to find out more about this man he'd taken in. "Thanks."

Watching Noah leave, he sighed and turned and looked at the house. "Time to man up." He whispered out loud and he took long strides toward the porch.

He saw the wrapped sandwich sitting on the table. The idea that she'd made him one shocked him. He should have stopped and eaten it, after running for so long he was shaky, but he needed to see her before he could think about eating.

Using his sensitive hearing, he listened to see where she was. Heading to the living room, he stopped in the doorway and looked at her asleep on the couch. She looked angelic when she slept, face relaxed and so lovely. As he got closer he could see the slight puffiness around her eyes. He didn't know why it startled him to realize she had cried herself to sleep.

This wasn't what he wanted for her. He only wanted his mate to be happy, to not have a care in the world. Instead she was wrecked with shock and living under the threat that seemed to plague his kind more often than not. Pausing, he realized he'd have to tell her about what Devin had told him. He could save her the worry, but keeping anything a secret from her at this point wouldn't do anything to winning her favor.

Blowing out a breath, he moved over and squatted down beside the couch. She was curled up on one end, clutching a pillow to her chest and his heart jerked with pain to see her that way. Her eyes opened slowly, fogged with confusion.

"Gage," she whispered.

Reaching out, his hand shaking, he brushed the hair back from her face. "I'm here."

"You should have told me." Her voice was hoarse with emotion.

He looked into her eyes and could see the pain and betrayal. Nodding, he dropped his hand away. "I know, honey."

She continued to look at him for several breath-holding moments. "I'll never forgive your parents for keeping this from me."

A chill went up his spine at sound of conviction in her voice. Not trusting his voice, he only nodded. As her warm palm touched his cheek, he closed his eyes for a second at the feel of her touch.

"I'm working in the office for a few days." She dropped her hand and slid up on the couch. "I don't want to see any of you right now."

Gage dropped to his knees as she avoided touching him and got up. He listened to her steps as she went up the stairs, not moving until he heard her door close. Well, that wasn't the outcome he'd wanted. Shaking his head, he pushed to his feet and stood up. The silence in the room engulfed him. Had he really expected her to be all right with everything? For seven years he'd deluded himself with the notion she'd find out and come to him with open arms. Clearly the real Kelsey was nothing like the one that had lived in Gage's head all these years.

Turning, he glanced at the door and then sighed. He needed to stay put for the night and going for another run wasn't going to change a damn thing. He trudged toward the kitchen. He had no appetite but had learned early on that if he didn't put food in at regular intervals, controlling his animal was a hard thing to do.

As he sat at the table, not even tasting the food in his mouth, he tried to sort through his thoughts. It was impossible as Kelsey, Noah, and now Blair swam around in his brain along with the threats of Tomas being on the prowl. Pushing back from the table, he growled in frustration and got up to head for the shower. Just having one thing go right would be a fucking blessing right now.