Chapter 35

Chapter 35

"I'm thrilled to be here," Rayne said on a soft laugh, "some of the other stops we've made go through this intricate ceremony," she accepted the cup of tea from her, "most of which I still don't understand." She sipped the tea. "Then I have a grumpy man to contend with, because he hates all that stuff."

Kelsey leaned back and nodded. "Well, grumpy men I'm used to," she motioned toward the window where Gage, Devin, Cooper and Gary stood still talking, "But as far as how most things go, I know less that you."

Sitting back with the cup cradled between her hands, Rayne studied her. "I can't believe you," she shook her head, "Okay, both of us were around shifters our entire lives and didn't know." She played with the handle of the cup. "I felt like my parents deceived me, and I felt so betrayed when I found out."

Kelsey watched the pain flash in her eyes. "I still haven't decided who to be maddest at; my parents, Gage's parents, or all of the guys for keeping it from me."

Giving her a sympathetic look, Rayne ran a finger around the rim of her cup. "After seeing what Noah and the others that the Tomas family have survived, I understand better why my parents didn't tell me. They wanted me to grow up, feel normal and build a life of my own." She sighed. "Only I'm not sure what they expected me to think when I woke up one morning as a wolf." She grimaced, "It wouldn't have been a good start to my day."

Kelsey smiled. "Yeah, I still don't see why my parents never said. They had me here a lot, but I don't know how I didn't see the signs."

Rayne's eyes sparkled. "Yes, I suppose tigers are out of the ordinary in a normal world."

"Considering the size of some of these guys when they shift, yeah, they had to do some serious sneaking around." She sat there, questions running through her head, not sure which to ask.

"Just ask them, Kelsey. I'll try to answer as best as I can." Rayne said softly.

Kelsey took a deep breath and exhaled while trying to decide what she wanted to know the most. Closing her eyes, she blew out another breath before looking back at Rayne. "I haven't been able to bring myself to call Beth, Gage's mom, just yet, so the only perspective I have on any of this is from the guys." Rayne rolled her eyes to that, and Kelsey couldn't help but smirk. "This cycle, heat, or whatever it's called," she felt her face redden, "do you...have you..."

Rayne reached over and grasped her hand lightly. "I haven't been through it myself, yet." She winced. "But I have talked to others about it."

Kelsey sighed in relief. "Please tell me what you can." Rubbing her free hand over her stomach, her shoulders relaxed. "It's absolutely horrible. I thought I was dying, hot inside, hot outside and my stomach cramping..."

Rayne gave her a sympathetic look. "I hate to say it, but from what I'm told, the feline shifter has it worse than the others."

"Wonderful." Kelsey muttered.

"Have you..." Rayne looked down at her hand and then back up at her. "Have you and Gage been together?"

Kelsey shook her head as her cheeks flushed more. "He..." she searched for the right word. "helped me both times it's happened, but we haven't had...sex."

Rayne nodded, with an understanding look on her face. "Well, if it helps, let him." She leaned forward. "You don't have to do anything until you're ready though."

Sighing, Kelsey played with her cup. "When it happens, I don't have control of much of anything."

"I understand that." Picking up her cup, she sipped it a few times. "Tell Gage where you're drawing the line," she paused for a moment. "When your head is clear. I'm sure he'll do everything he can to make sure nothing else happens." She shrugged. "He is your mate after all, so his sole objective is your happiness and comfort."