Chapter 29

29

Kelsey straightened, lifting herself off the counter. What the hell had just happened? Her cheeks flamed. Well, she knew what happened, but why? And why did she feel better? Oh God, what did I do? Or more precisely why did I let him do it? Her body quivered as she replayed the moment.

She'd never... okay, she had, but never from a man doing it. Heat rushed over her, she tensed afraid the pain would return. When it didn't, she exhaled slowly and stood, questions running through her mind.

Was that going to happen to her again? And she wanted to know how the hell Gage had known exactly what to do? It was like he'd... she frowned at the floor. Like he'd had to do it before...

That thought felt like a smack in the face, and she wasn't sure why. Of course, he wasn't a virgin. Twinges of jealousy accompanied memories of the never-ending string of girls that hung around when Gage and the rest of the guys were in their early twenties. Still, she couldn't run to him if that horrible feeling hit her again. There had to be something that she could do about it.

Spinning toward the hallway, she almost ran into the bathroom. She stopped in front of the door, hand on the handle. She could hear the water running, but she could also hear more. Her cheeks flushed when she realized she could hear Gage in the shower, and what he was doing. Letting go of the doorknob as if it burned her, she stood there trying to decide what to do.

Before she could come to any sort of decision, the shower turned off. Counting to five, she hoped he had a towel close at hand. Bursting into the room, he was just wrapping a towel around his waist. The water dripped off his body, forming a small puddle on the tile by his feet.

Gage eyed her with a wary look on his face, but didn't say a word as he grabbed another towel to begin drying his upper body.

Kelsey tried to ignore the way his muscles flexed as he moved. Before she changed her mind, she forced her eyes to meet his. "What is wrong with me?" She ran her eyes over his exposed flesh briefly. "And don't give me some kind of juvenile answer please. I understand horny and that..." she pointed out the open door in the general direction of the kitchen, "That was not just horniness." She glared. "It hurt so much, Gage." She stopped there because she didn't know if she should be mad at him or cry with relief that he'd made it go away.

Tossing the towel at the clothes hamper, he pushed his hair out of his face with both hands. She looked down at the floor to avoid acknowledging how sexy he was.

Sighing loudly, he went to place a finger under her chin, raising her eyes to meet his. Connecting with her expression, he dropped his hand away. "That was you coming into the change, or your first cycle. One or the other happens first." He leaned against the wall; crossing his arms over his chest he studied her. "And it's worse than being horny; it's like you're on fire inside and out." He shrugged. "Or so I've been told."

She bit her lip, determined she wouldn't ask who had told him. His eyes looked at the lip her teeth held captive. She glared back. "So, it's gone now?"

He stilled before responding. "It will be back."

Her jaw dropped. "Why? We just..." she frowned, unable to say it out loud. "So how long will I have to go through this?"

Several emotions crossed his expression, but she couldn't tell what he was feeling.

"It varies, honey, there's many variables that could..."

"Variables? What am I a math equation?" She snapped. Considering all she'd been through, he'd just had to get over it. "How do I fix it?"

Gage looked at the floor, jaw clenched. It seemed like he was working through what to say. "There's only one thing that will ..." he looked at her, "fix it."