Chapter 21

Chapter 21

When she came into the kitchen, Gage kept his head down and tried to focus on the words on the pages in front of him. He'd felt her stiffen as soon as she entered the room. She had wanted space, and as much as he'd give anything for her to have her wish, he couldn't back down when it came to her safety. All he had to do was figure out how to tell her that the nightmare didn't stop when her parents had died.

"Coffee's fresh," he said softly.

Sitting back, he watched her get a cup, her movements jerky. She was pissed he was here, and part of him couldn't blame her. Closing the folder, he stood up. "Listen, I know you don't want to see me right now," his chest tightened, "but I need to tell you something..."

She turned and gave him a startled look, like she couldn't believe there was more.

He lifted a hand to get her attention before she started. "It's important, Kelsey, or I'd already be at the shop."

Nodding, she gave him an impatient look. She wanted him out of her sight, like ten minutes ago. "Devin..." he rubbed his jaw, "Coop explained who Devin was right?" She nodded, her jaw set. "Okay. Devin called and all of the clans are being put on alert..."

Her expression changed to concern. "You mean all the types of shifters or just ours?"

He had to give her credit for trying to understand. "All of them." He hesitated for a second trying to figure out how to explain this to her. "Tomas has been trying to abduct females..."

She physically jolted like he'd hit her.

Taking a few steps in her direction, he stopped and bit back the desire to shelter her in her arms. "I doubt he'd ever be near here, but we're not taking any chances. None of the clans will."

She took a shaky breath and hugged her arms around her waist. "Why hasn't something been done about these people? There are law enforcement..."

Gage shook his head. "And tell them what, honey? That a criminal organization abducts people that can shift into animals?" He lifted his hands motioning to her and then himself. "One-forms..." he paused when she frowned at him, "normal people that don't shift. They don't know anything about our world, Kelsey; it's safer that way, for both sides."

Rubbing her hands up and down her arms, she nodded and exhaled in an overwhelmed way. "I'll take your word for it." She stared at him from across the kitchen, but he felt like she wasn't really looking at him. "So, you're telling me this so I'll be cautious?"

"And, I'm not keeping anything from you again, even if I'm told it's for your own good." He almost held his breath waiting for her to reply.

The glazed look left her eyes as she focused on him. "Thank you, for that." She cleared her throat. "I'm going to go through the office and see if I can put my education to use and help the shop."

He nodded abruptly, "That would be great. I'm a bit of a dunce when it comes to all of that."

Her expression didn't change at the quip. "Is there anything else I need to know right now?"

There's the door, use it. He rubbed a hand over his chest; it was the hardest thing to stand this far from her. For years, he'd pushed her away on purpose and now he'd give anything to just hold her for a moment. "The guys will be lurking about keeping an eye on things, so don't hold it against them when they're under orders."

Kelsey regarded him for a long awkward moment before she nodded slowly. "Okay." She turned her back to him and went back to getting her cup of coffee.

Gage had never been dismissed so efficiently in his life. Staring at her for a few seconds, he turned and walked toward the door. How long would she be like this, he wondered as he stepped out onto the porch. It was hard enough finally being around her, but the icy aura just hurt, plain and simple.

Gage walked into the shop, looking forward to the distraction of work, to find all five men standing there looking at the phone Blair held. Frowning, he went over. "What's going on?"

Blair gave him a strange look. "I've been summoned."

He glanced at Cooper, he mouthed Kelsey. Gage's eyebrows shot up, he wasn't sure whether to be angry that she wanted to talk to Blair and not him or thankful that it was Blair and not him.

Blair exhaled loudly. "I think," he said in a quiet serious tone, "I'm about to have my furry tail shoved down my throat."

Gage couldn't even feel angry with Blair; he didn't envy him in this moment. Then again if Kelsey would at least yell at him, Gage was sure it would feel better than the cold shoulder she'd been giving him.

Tossing the rag on the tool cart, Blair gave him a skeptical look and then turned and walked out the door.

Gary whistled. "Kind of makes me glad I'm an antisocial, shy man."

Jake laughed. "If she's going to line us up and stab us one at a time, I'll make sure you're included."

Noah looked from one to the other. "You guys have fun with that, I'm going to go out and try to figure out the dozer."

Cooper laughed and patted him on the back. "I'll help."

Gage stood with the other two men and watched them leave. "I guess Noah's safe."

"How was she this morning?" Jake asked, moving over to the cart Blair had abandoned and picking up a wrench.

"Kelsey?" Gage asked, knowing exactly who he meant. He sighed. "I couldn't even see her for the six-foot-thick wall of ice she has surrounding her now."

"Shit," Gary muttered and left without another word.

Jake watched him leave and then turned to Gage. "This is going to get worse before it gets better, isn't it?"

Gage just gave him a blank look. He'd been stuck in worse for seven years, what was a little while longer? The only thing he hoped was that it wouldn't last forever.