Chapter 23

Chapter 23

Kelsey didn't know how much time went by until she couldn't cry any more, and then she just stood there feeling completely drained. Her cheek stuck to his wet shirt. "No one told me you were ordered not to tell me." She leaned back and looked up at him. "Why wouldn't you guys tell me that instead of letting me think otherwise?"

Lifting his shirt, he wiped her cheeks off with it and gave her a grieved look. "We're just dumb males, sweetie, who knows why we do half the crazy shit we do."

She smiled, she couldn't help it. Inhaling, she stopped when a strange smell came to her. It was nothing like she'd smelled before, wholly masculine but unusual. Leaning forward, she fought back her embarrassment and sniffed at Blair's neck. He stiffened, his hands sliding slowly down her arms and then gradually dropping away. "Um..." she looked up at him again, his pale blue eyes watching her cautiously. "Why can I smell you?"

Taking a shaky breath, he stepped back from her and wiped a hand down over his wet shirt. "It's..." he shrugged but didn't look at her, "probably just your new senses kicking in a bit." Tucking his shirt into his jeans, he looked at her from beneath his long pale lashes. "I wouldn't worry about. It will come and go for a while and then you'll get used to it when it's enhanced all the time."

Blowing out a breath, she brushed the hair back from her face. "Well, at least you don't smell bad."

He smiled a stiff grin. "Good to know." Clearing his throat, he hunched down and cupped the side of her face. "Are we okay now?"

Inhaling slowly, she closed her eyes and stood there for a moment trying to see what she was feeling. Opening her eyes, she nodded. "As okay as possible right now."

Dropping his hand, he tucked his hand into his pocket and gave her one of his patented charming Blair smiles. "Good." His eyes searched her face for a few seconds. "You need to eat, Kelsey. You can't skip a single meal right now."

She nodded. "Yeah, Gage said something about that." She shrugged, "I'm not really hungry..."

"Doesn't matter," he looked around the kitchen, "even something light will be better than nothing at all."

Kelsey sighed. "I got it." Picking up her cup, she sipped to see if the coffee was still warm. "Is there anything else other than not eating that's a no-no?" Would the things she needed to learn ever stop, she wondered.

Blair cleared his throat and moved past her to the fridge. "Well, yeah there's..." he opened the fridge and leaned in it. Pulling out eggs, he set the carton on the stove and then grabbed the milk. "There's one thing," he glanced at her hesitantly over his shoulder.

"What?" She didn't know if she wanted to know with him being hesitant to tell her. Blair didn't do hesitant; he did straight on blunt, nothing less. Grabbing a pan from the cupboard, he knew where everything was here, she thought, he set it on the stove and then turned and looked at her.

"Don't, uh," he looked down at the floor for a second and then back to her, "don't go sniffing any of the guys right now," he motioned to her, "not smelling as inviting as you do." He shook his head. "Jesus, if Gage had seen that he would have snapped my neck before he even realized he'd moved."

Kelsey's cheeked went hot and her jaw dropped. She slapped a hand over her mouth and then dropped it again. "I-I didn't, I'm not sure why..." fanning her face with her hand, she stared at him, eyes wide.

"Hey," he moved across the floor and grasped her shoulders lightly, "Hey. It's okay. It's only me and you didn't know." He rubbed his hands up and down her arms a few times until she nodded, then he released her and stepped back over to the stove.