Chapter 39

Chapter 39

Blair came running from the other direction. "Gage, Gary was out..." Blair froze, his eyes stopped on Gage's chest.

Pulling the track pants down, Gage turned in the direction Kelsey had gone. "Get everyone. Kelsey spooked and took off."

"Fuck." That was the last thing he heard before four paws hit the dirt, and he tore off after his mate.

Gage hadn't realized there was a breeze until he tried to follow Kelsey's scent. There was just enough air flow that he had to stop every hundred feet and adjust his direction. The fact that he hadn't caught up to her, let him know she was fast, more so than he'd have liked at this moment.

He didn't pick up the strange scent again, which settled his nerves just enough to allow him to focus. Listening to see if he could hear her, he couldn't. Later on, he'd be proud that she was able to move silently though the bush. A noise to his left had him pausing to turn. Before Blair came into view, Gage picked up his scent.

Blinking, he stopped and watched Blair moving through the trees, hauling what could only be the track pants and shirt that Kelsey had been wearing. It was quite the sight to see a six-foot white tiger prowling along with clothes hanging from his mouth. He'd be sure to tease him later, after he thanked him for thinking of it in the first place.

Noah and Jake came bounding out of the trees to Gage's right, they slowed long enough to run beside him for several strides and then separated, heading back into the trees.

Gage scented the air, her scent was getting stronger. Increasing his stride, he crashed through an area hidden behind thick brush and paused mid-step. Off to his left, Gary was in his cat form staring up a tree. Chirruping, he got his attention. Gary turned and looked at him and then up into the tree.

Twenty feet up in the air Kelsey was sprawled along a large limb, looking down at him.

Cooper came out from behind the tree and Gage knew exactly what the old cat was thinking, there was no way he was going up after her. They were both too heavy. He began to pace back and forth, trying to figure out how to get his mate safely out of the damn tree. Leave it up to Kelsey to go up a tree the first time she shifts.

Going over, he stood beside Gary and looked up at her once more. Why did he feel like she was laughing at him?

Blair came up beside them and dropped the clothes, he looked up at Kelsey and then back to Gage. Every male was too heavy to go up after her. If he didn't know better, he'd think she picked that tree just for that reason alone.

Blair walked around the tree and then began to prowl back and forth, agitated. Gage watched Cooper pacing the outskirts of where they gathered scenting the air, he'd let them know if anyone was nearby that shouldn't be.

Looking up at Kelsey, he tried to decide how she would react if he demanded she come down. He didn't finish that thought, he knew just how well that would go. As he sat there weighing options, Noah came charging out of the bush, running straight for the tree. With a move Gage wouldn't have even tried, he vaulted off a fallen tree and launched himself up into the tree at the point where it branched out, a good ten feet in the air.

At first, he thought the crazy cat was going to try going higher, but instead Noah stretched up to his full length of damn near eleven feet, from whisker to tail, and clawed at the tree above him. All the while he was making soft chuffing sounds up at Kelsey.

She stood up and looked down at Noah. When Gage saw her crouch, her muscles bunching, his whole body tensed as she prepared to jump down. He was going to tear a strip off her, simply for scaring the hell out of him.