holding me back from you

They reluctantly leave their bubble to return to the party when they both receive a couple desperate texts from Kimberly, saying she had a fight with Canaan. Leighton ignored her buzzing phone at first, not wanting their moment to end, but Kimberly has stood by her through a lot of hard times, so she would feel bad if she didn't offer her the same support. She supposes that's the downside of caring.

Her hand rests on Mabel's waist as she guides her through the crowd, and she savors every second of it, smiling widely. It's certainly a relief for her body not to have to repress the fact that she is naturally gravitating towards Mabel for some reason.

Mabel certainly isn't complaining about feeling Leighton's hands on her. Every place she touches feels like it's on fire and her heart is in overdrive, making it hard to focus on finding the other girls.

They finally spot a weeping Kimberly in a secluded corner of the house. A drunken Bela scurries around her, visibly overwhelmed by the situation and offers Kimberly some liquor to calm her down. Kimberly just starts crying harder and Bela raises her head and looks around in panic. Her features ease when she spots the two of them and intercepts them a few meters away from Kimberly.

"Thank God. You guys are finally here," she groans, slightly sluring her words.

She stares down at Leighton's hand on Mabel's back and glances up curiously.

"Wait, did you guys finally do it?," she asks smirking.

"I was beginning to wonder how you guys deal with all the unresolved tension."

Mabel gets flustered and starts playing with one of her rings. She didn't think they'd be so obvious, but she knows it's easy to notice that their mood has improved enormously since Bela's last seen them. Especially with the way they were both moping around the whole week.

Leighton chuckles beside her, not even attempting to pull away from Mabel.

"Wouldn't you like that," she responds, leaving Bela wondering.

"Is that a yes?" presses Bela, and Leighton shakes her head.

"No, obviously not."

"man," Bela says, disappointed, but it eases Mabel worry and she relaxes back into the touch.

Leighton slyly grins at how quickly she managed to convince Bela. She knows it's too soon to tell her friends, and that it's frankly none of their business anyway. She wants to work this out with Mabel alone, without anyone getting in the way.

"Okay, so what happened between them?" Mabel asks, turning their conversation back to the original issue.

"I have no idea," Bela says with a shrug.

"I just found her curled up like this and she's too upset to really explain."

"Okay well, why don't you go look for Whit and me and Mabel get Kimberly home in the meantime?," Leighton suggests.

She's aware that Bela's upbeat energy probably isn't what's going to help them calm Kimberly down and Bela looks like she could use a break.

"Are you sure Leigh?," Bela asks and she looks hopeful.

"Yes, go ahead. Whitney would probably like to know what's going on and you guys can just meet us later," she reassures her.

Bela sighs in relief and her grin returns.

"Don't have to much fun without me," she winks, gesturing between Leighton and Mabel, before she leaves.

"You never know," Leighton calls after her, as she maneuvers through the crowd and Mabel chuckles shaking her head. Together they make their way back to Kimberly and take a seat next to her.