comfort

The next two weeks, Leighton surprisingly spends some of her afternoons at the women's center. Mabel started volunteering there, and Leighton joined her once when she was bored and actually didn't hate it. It's a lot bigger than when she worked there, and all the new people aren't so bad to be around.

She doesn't really do hookups anymore, which Whitney teases her about. She ignores her comments, while Whitney laughs at Leighton's cluelessness. She has her theories, but she wants Leighton to realize them herself.

After one of Whitney's comments, Leighton goes on a date with a pretty blonde. It's not bad at all, but after twenty minutes she realizes that it's not really what she wants. They end up in bed anyway, but agree to leave it at that.

So what if she hasn't tried to seduce girls this semester? That didn't exactly go well for her in the past. She doesn't mind a little fun, but most of her days are filled with classes and spending time with her friends.

Sometimes she sits in on Mabel tutoring Kimberly. They were all so shocked when they found out Mabels aunt is french and that Mabel is practically fluent. Kimberly was so glad she had someone to practice with and of course Mabel was open to tutor her.

Leighton had never really thought about French before, but she loved listening to Mabel. Literally anything she said sounded so nice, which was hard for her to wrap her mind around. Her and Kimberly always used french nicknames like "Chérie" and "Mon coeur", which was honestly pretty adorable.

She and Mabel leave on Friday to meet Leighton's parents at the hotel they have booked. Leighton takes on DJ duties while Mabel is behind the wheel. She doesn't know exactly how to prepare for meeting them, but Leighton has assured her that they will love her.

It's really special for her to be invited to something as intimate as a wedding. She doesn't have a huge family and her dad is more feared than loved. Her mom was the one holding everything together, so when she died the light in her home disappeared. Six year old Mabel was really overwhelmed back then, but at least she had had her sister and her friends.

Leighton dozes off, while her playlist is quietly playing and sleeps for the rest of the ride. Mabel gently wakes her, after they arrive and they make their way to the hotel.

Leighton's mom has booked them two rooms, connected by a door. She joked that they both might want their privacy after spending everyday in the same room and the girls thanked her for her generosity.

Leighton's parents arrive an hour later and they all go to dinner.

"So Mabel Leighton told us that you were at a different college. What made you switch to Essex?", Mister Murray asks, eating his starter.

A few things actually. I barely saw people from home and the environment there wasn't the best. A family friend had suggested Essex after she heard everything about my college, so I visited and as you probably all can imagine, really liked it."

Mister Murray beams at that and Leighton chuckles preparing for his monolog. He revives in old memories as they eat their main course and Mabel has the greatest time. Sure he is a bit unhinged, but she loves that he expresses all his excitement.

Leighton's mum stops him before he can tell them more, her look being serious.

"Thank you for sharing with us honey, but we have to talk about tomorrow for a second. We will not be late to this wedding, not even you darling ", she says looking over to Nico.

"Do whatever you want in the morning, but we'll leave at one thirty sharp. Is that understood?"

They all including her husband nod and her expression softens again.