friends by coincidence

Flashback:

A million things went through Whitney's mind when she saw Kimberly and Canaan kissing. Why had Kimberly always said they were just friends? Why had she never told her? Had they been secretly dating this whole time?...

She would have gone crazy if she had watched them any longer, so she tried to get as far away from them as possible. She ran and ran until she collapsed on a bench completely out of breath.

"Why do I always like the wrong guys?"

She sat there for a while, trying to understand how it had come to this. If Kimberly had been honest, they were just friends first. Maybe Kimberly would be better for him. She herself had screwed up their relationship with her jealousy. Her trust issues really did more bad than good.

"Whitney?"

She looked up.

"Jackson? What are you doing here?"

He smiled.

"You know I was about to ask you the same thing. I thought for sure you'd be at the party."

She nodded.

"Well, I was, but I didn't feel like beeing there anymore. What about you?"

"My friends are there. I was just about to go."

"I hope you have fun."

"Thank's you too"

Whitney thought about going to a bar to have a drink, but then she noticed that Jackson was walking in the direction of Kimberly and Canaan.

"Shit", she thought. "They just broke up"

"Gosh, this is going to be so embarrassing", she mumbled.

"Jackson," she exclaimed.

He turned around in confusion.

"Yes?"

She walked toward him.

"I was thinking about going out for a drink. Do you want to join me?"

He said nothing.

"You know what forget it. I know we don't really know each other. It was just an idea."

He looked at her and smiled.

"I'm so glad you asked. I really didn't want to go to that party."

"Really?"

He looked down and scratched his head in embarrassment.

"Yeah... ever since Kimberly, I haven't really felt like going to parties."

"sorry to hear that"

"It's all good. Breakups happen. I hope we can still be friends."

Whitney nodded.

"That's the reason I don't date friends. It's much worse to lose a friend."

"Yeah that's true."

They went to a supermarket and talked about college, past relationships, their future plans, and their favorite music.

During their talk Jackson noticed that she seemed a little sad. He didn't know why, but he couldn't bare to see her like that. He just had to try to cheer her up. He told her funny experiences from his childhood and silly things he and his friends had done in college and after a while she seemed to feel better.

"Come with me"

Whitney took his hand.

"Wait Whit. Where are we going?"