a lie hurts more than the truth

Leighton woke up to a loud noise.
She groaned in annoyance and threw her pillow against the wall. Sleepily, she looked at the clock only to find out that she had been asleep for 15 minutes.

"Seriously?? 15 minutes?"

She heard voices in the next room and decided to go there.

Kimberly and Mabel turned as the door next to them opened.

"Shoot did we wake you up? Sorry Leighton," Mabel said.

Leighton looked around. On the floor was a broken potted plant which Kimberly was trying to sweep up.

"Kimberly what are you doing here?"

She was too tired to hide her annoyance.

"I went to see Kappa and they said she wasn't there yet."

"and you didn't think to look for her on school grounds?"

"I did, but I wanted to water my plant beforehand."

"Clearly that didn't work."

Kimberly stopped cleaning and looked at Leighton.

"You know what Leighton? I don't think I should feel that bad about Whitney to be honest. They've been broken up for a while and it's not my fault Canaan wanted me."

"Why did you lie to her then?"

Kimberly didn't answer. Mabel really didn't want to get involved but it didn't seem like they were going to work it out soon.

"You know what guys? Let's forget about who's to blame and focus on Kimberly talking to Whitney. I've only been here a few hours and I've already heard several rumors about a couple of students."

"She's right. Let's go Kimberly."

"What about my plant?"

"Forget that stupid plant. It can wait."

Mabel watched them go.

"Good luck, guys."

Leighton turned and smiled.

"Thanks. See you later, Mabel."

"See you later, Leighton."

"We've looked everywhere. Maybe she's not coming?"

Leighton took a deep breath.

"No, Whit wouldn't do that without saying something. Let's go to Kappa. Maybe we just missed her."

"Do you really think they want to see you? You know, after what happened."

"That would be their problem. Let's go."

Kimberly grinned and tried to catch up with Leighton.

"You're a really fast walker. Did you know that?"

"Only when I'm determined to do something. Now come on, we don't have all day."

The door in front of them was opened and a girl in a blue dress with flowers looked at them. Leighton and Kimberly smiled at the girl.

"Welcome to Kappa. What can I do for you two?"

She was clearly disinterested.

"Hey, my name is Leighton and this is Kimberly. We are looking for our friend Whitney."

"Whitney? Oh, I met her, she's so...unique."

Leighton pulled herself together. She didn't like the way the girl was talking about Whitney, but she would have to deal with that another time.