on the road

Mabel's head rests on Leighton's chest as they're entangled under a blanket. Leighton's lips are resting on her forehead, pressing light kisses to her as closes her eyes in comfort. Leighton pulls her tigher as Mabel nestles into her and a small smile forms on her lips.

"We haven't booked anything yet, but the girls and I want to go away for the weekend and I'd love for you to come with us," she says, breaking the silence and Mabel looks up beaming.

"Of course, I'd love to come along. If you have room for one more."

Leighton nods.

"For you always," she says winking and Mabel bites her lips to contain her broad smile.

Leighton lets herself be distracted by the movement, her gaze lingering on Mabel's lips for a few moments before she lifts her chin and makes herself look up at her eyes again.

"Where were you thinking of going?" Mabel asks curiously and leans towards Leighton with a grin.

"Will you let me surprise you? I promise you'll love it," Leighton says earnest. Kimberly wanted to do most of the planning, but Leighton has made sure that Mabel will enjoy everything.

"I know I will," she whispers, smiling contentedly.

"If you don't you'll get to pick my outfits for the week," Leighton promises.

"That does sound tempting," Mabel says with a devilish grin and Leighton looks at her in worry.

"I think I'm already regretting suggesting that. You're probably gonna give me oversized clothes the whole week."

"I might. I know you love them," Mabel says smiling at the tortured expression on Leighton's face.

Her worry melts away when she feels Mabel's fingers graze over her jaw as she leans up to plant a soft kiss on Leighton's cheek, that leaves Leighton breathless.

Mabel picks up her previously abandoned book from the bedside table and nestles into Leighton's side. Taking a look up, she notices Leighton's flushed cheeks, and shakes her head in disbelief, amazed that she's able to put her in this state.

Leighton spends the next few afternoons "helping Mabel with math," which essentially means talking as she watches Mabel paint and admiring the look of concentration on her face, or sneaking out to walk around town.

She's glad they've found a way to spend time together without having to deal with all the questions because they've told their friends the truth. The thought of Mabel struggling with math makes her smile though.

She's definitely able to keep up in class, but Leighton appreciates her willingness to pretend otherwise.

At first, she didn't want to agree.
Their friends didn't need to think she was struggling, but Mabel had argued that Leighton was a math genius in their eyes and was mastering all of her classes with ease, so it would be pretty hard for them to believe she's the one who needs help.

However, their one on one time doesn't last as long as she hoped, because the next thursday Bela suddenly bursts into their room calling Leighton's name, prompting her to tear her eyes away from Mabel's painted canvas.

"Yeah, Bela, what's up?" she asks and stands up with a sigh.

"I thought you guys wanted to study?" Bela asks, confused.

"Leighton let me take a break because I was doing so good," Mabel says playfully and Leighton laughs.

"Yeah, you were pretty great," Leighton says with a smirk and Bela rolls her eyes.