Ⲥⲏⲇⲣⲧⲉⲅ 35

♬ "Choose something, babe, I got nothing
To believe unless you're choosin' me" ♬

Skylar Abbott POV

I played with fire, and I got out without a single burn. He would never allow me to get hurt. But waking up in the same bed as him brought some old memories and feelings to light, so I tried to do what any girl would do. I tried to sneakily get out of bed so I could get dressed and do the walk of shame to my room before he noticed. 

"Don't do that, please," he asks me as his arm wraps around my waist and pulls me into his body, my back hitting his bare chest.

"I was preventing the future shame we would feel in the morning," I whispered as I turned to him, and he opened his eyes slightly.

"I don't know why shame would be the word used, but I will say I feel proud and relieved to have you here. I don't know about you though. Now, let's sleep on it," he gave me a quick kiss before closing his eyes, and I smiled before going back to sleep.

I woke up with the smell of food and opened my eyes as I sat down and saw Max putting a breakfast tray in front of me.

"Eat something; you must be starving," he says gently, and I nod, still a bit lost.

"Why are you being this nice?" I ask confusedly.

"Should I be an asshole? Would that draw you more to me? Because I specifically remember that you liked when I was nice and romantic, not when I was an asshole pretending not to care," he comments with some curiosity.

"I like it but it makes me feel like..." I slowly stopped talking and he laughs.

"Like we are back together." He adds, and I nod. "Well, I'm sorry if that is that bad."

"What I find bad is how quickly I would take you back now that you know everything and that I know we both committed mistakes and stopped pinning the blame on you," I admit, and I see a little smirk on his face.

"I would get back to you now that I know everything. It doesn't mean we are desperate or bad, it means we loved each other and still do, we are human," he says nonchalantly and I nod.

"That is a good way to look at it."

"Are you thinking about him? Do you regret this?" He asks me a few minutes later as silence filed the room and I stop my thoughts.

"George? I am not thinking about him. Why did you think that?"

"I know that when I had the accident, you went to him after you left me. I just wondered if you felt like you should be with him right now," his insecurities were out in the open, even if he didn't openly say it.

"We've talked about George before. He is a good guy, a great guy; someone will be lucky to have him. But I didn't love him, and he didn't love me; he had a crush, and I might've had a little crush on him, too, but it wasn't love. It wasn't what we had, and I want to feel that again. Even if we are not an option," I explain, and he nods.

"I can give you that feeling again. I love you just as much as I loved you back then," he sits by my side and I nod as I put the tray away.

"I love you too; let's just take it slow. We need to see if we would still work together and make it discreet; people are too invested in your personal life," I explain, and he nods.

"Whatever you want, I'm here for this. We deserve this second chance," he says as he caresses my cheek.

"We owe it to ourselves," I say before I kiss him.

And we did make the best of the day that we could, we cuddled and kissed as we watched some movies, I felt like a teenager all over again. And we kept it discreet, no contact on the paddock, not that anyone could see, and I would just meet him in his room after work. 

The people who saw us kissing at the party kept it to themselves. Charles loves gossip, but even he kept his mouth shut about it, and I thought I wouldn't see the end of it, but I think Max also took care of it.

"You look happy," I hear George's voice as I watch some of the footage from today, and I nod.

"So do you. How are you?" I ask him curiously, and he shrugs with his typical smile.

"Doing pretty good. How about you and Max?" He almost whispers with a cheeky smile, and I look around; no one is close enough to hear.

"Me and Max? What do you mean?" I didn't tell him anything, so only Max could've told him.

"You are both very happy, and it feels like we are back in 2020; I can only assume you got back together again. Or is it wrong?" He asks curiously, and I chuckle.

"We are trying to see where this might go; some things turn out to be unsolvable and have an impossible chance of recovery; I hope we aren't one of those cases," I am a bit worried, but I think we are fine, free of worry for now.

"You two will be fine, you are made for each other. Let me know if you need anything," he says as he messes my hair before going to talk to Toto.

I like George, he is a good friend. But if I am confessing, I love Max, I think I always did. And I am scared to say it out loud because then it would be real and even if he loves me, maybe getting back together as a couple wouldn't be a good idea. But I would take the criticism that might come from it, I would take anything really. I just want him back.