Ⲥⲏⲇⲣⲧⲉⲅ 13

♪ You said it was true love, but wouldn't that be hard?
You can't love anyone, 'cause that would mean you had a heart ♪

Max Verstappen POV

I was celebrating my win, a girl was in my lap and I was thinking about anything but that. Is she with George? Will it be official soon? Does he treat her better than I did? My phone started buzzing in my pocket and I picked it up so I could turn it off, it was probably someone from my family to congratulate me. I see the name on the screen and I instantly pick up.

"Yes?" I answer the call with doubt, did she butt dial me? She still has my number.

"Max, I'm scared and I am alone and I want to go back to the hotel," she basically whispers before being interrupted by a sob.

"Where are you, Skylar?" I ask as I put the girl on the couch by my side and get up from the couch, I drop a few hundred euros on the table and start leaving.

"Some bar close to the track, I walked here after work," she says her crying voice was so obvious.

"Why are you crying?" I asked as I called a cab that was waiting for customers. I showed him the address to the bar and he took me there.

"I don't even know anymore. I think I want to die," she whispers and my heart skips a beat.

"Please, Sky, please. Just wait for me, don't say those things," I beg worriedly and I am fucking glad I was close by.

"I shouldn't have called. I know this might be a mistake, it's so late but I could only think of you," she says as she goes back to crying and I feel my heart shrinking, I can't see her crying, I never could.

"I am almost there," I say as silence takes over the other side of the line.

We arrived and I asked him to wait a few minutes, I would pay for it so it was not a big deal. I hurried back inside and she lifted her head to see me, I ran to the bartender.

"Is her tab closed?" I ask as I take my wallet in my hands and he shakes his head, I pay it and go in her direction.

"I have money, I just need a ride to the hotel," she mutters outraged as her words slurred on her tongue.

"I am giving you a ride too, can you stand?" I ask and she looks at me like I said the most stupid thing ever.

She got up and instantly started to fall before I got her. I picked her up in my arms in bridal style and took her to the cab. I gave him the name of the hotel I was staying in and he started driving.

"That is not my hotel Max," she says as she sits by my side.

"I don't care, you are staying in my room, I will sleep on the couch," I say coldly and she nods obediently, which is not a trait she has. She has no obedient bone in her body.

"I'm sorry, you should be celebrating your win," she whispers but everything could be heard through the silence.

"Why didn't you call George?" I ask curiously and she looks at me confusedly and then it's like she remembered something.

"Oh, I didn't even think of George, that would've been better. I wouldn't interrupt your celebrations, he has nothing to celebrate either way," she says as she nods her own head in agreement with her own words, she is too drunk.

"He is celebrating, he got third place, it's pretty good," I say and she seems surprised.

"Forgot about that too. Good for George, number 3 is not bad!" She says excitedly. She watched the podium, I saw her wearing the Mercedes hat, it felt like a fucking stab in the heart but I saw it.

"Can you leave us by the back entrance of the hotel please?" I ask and the man nods as he gets closer to the hotel.

No one was there to film us or try to get pictures, gladly. I paid in cash, almost double what was asked, and picked her up once again as I went to my room. When I got there, I left her on the bed and started heading to the couch.

"I am sorry," she says once again as she sits on the bed.

"You apologized already, there is no need to keep doing it," I say as I lay the blanket I went to get from the closet and I look at her.

"I didn't know you were going to propose, I'm sorry for that," she says and I gulp. Charles Leclerc. The fucking snitch.

"I'm glad you didn't know, it was meant to be a surprise and it wouldn't change anything. You left either way," I say as I spread the blanket on the couch, I can't look at her right now.

"I don't regret it. What we had, I don't regret it. I think it was a bunch of miscommunications that led to our downfall, I should've stopped trying to be such a people pleaser and let people step all over me," she kept talking and I kept listening. Will I finally have some answers?

"What didn't you communicate?" I ask and she shrugs.

"Too much stuff was left unsaid, I feel tired and I want to give up but I can't, right? Should I give up?" She asks as she looks me in the eyes and I want to look away, I just can't.

"Give up what? The job?" I ask confusedly.

"Life."

That answer could've broken my heart if wasn't already broken and unaccounted for. She did it once and I think I would allow her to do it all over again, which is why this is so damn dangerous.