Ⲥⲏⲇⲣⲧⲉⲅ 1

Warning: First of all thank you for reading. English is not my first language so there may be some mistakes. There are some swearing words along with sexual words and scenes. I might make some mistakes because I tried to research everything before writing but some things are hard to find (I accept any help you can give me tho).

Every character and name are merely representative and I do not mean to insult anyone, but someone will be the villain (or not) so if it's your idol I'm sorry. Some family names/birthdays are made up because there are pieces of information that are, obviously, not made public. Some facts and results may be changed to better fit the story.

-

♪ Hate to give the satisfaction, asking how you're doing now
How's the castle built off people you pretend to care about? ♪

March 2nd, 2023 – Bahrain Grand Prix - Friday

Max Verstappen POV

The paddock felt alive again after the restrictions were all lifted and it honestly felt good to see the whole energy of a race weekend. I saw Netflix was around the paddock as heavily as ever and I just ignored any attempt at communication because I didn't have much interest. This weekend I would have my mom, Sophie, and my sister, Victoria, here. My parents don't come on the same weekends and I prefer it this way, they want to support me and I love that.

My nephews stayed home and she came to enjoy the weekend here, which I am grateful for. I encountered Lando on my way to the motorhome, he was talking to Daniel so I just nodded at both but Daniel just grabbed my arm and pulled closer to them. My mom and sister stopped in their tracks and I signaled them to keep going, it must be one of their stupid jokes or gossip sessions.

"I am in a hurry so what's up?" I ask as I cross my arms.

"Did you hear the new rumors around the paddock?" Lando was nervous as he made that question so I got curious.

"What rumors?" I ask confusedly, the first weekend of the year just started, what is there to know?

"People say she is back, she is following George around, have you seen if it's really her?" Lando asks curiously and I first try to remember who they are talking about, it can't be.

"Skylar? It can't be, she stopped working for them. The team told me she had resigned from her job at Drive to Survive. Why would they hire her back to work with Mercedes?" I am not buying it, it makes no sense that my ex-girlfriend would just show up to work with my biggest rivals.

"It's her. George posted a picture yesterday saying he was excited by the filming for 2023 and she was in the background, she is a bit different but it's definitely Skylar." Daniel was firm in his words, he would identify her quickly, they adored each other.

"Are you being serious right now?" I ask feeling the hatred take over me and he nods scaredly. "I should get going, thank you for telling me."

I left and entered the motorhome, my mom and sister were chatting with a team member so I went to meet Christian since I was late. I knew it probably wasn't a formal meeting but I like being on time.

"What's with that face? Who pissed you off?" Christian asks as soon as I walk in, I close the door behind me and sit in front of him.

"Skylar, that's who," the words came out of my mouth before I even had a second to make an excuse but I don't need to hide anything from him, he knows everything there is to know.

"She contacted you? That's unexpected," he is now finding it all as weird as I am.

"Oh, she didn't. She is working for Drive to Survive again, with Mercedes!" The words came out bitter, her name was bittersweet to say but the shock on his face was clear.

"It can't be. Why would she ghost you and come back in a year to work for the enemy?" He asks still skeptical of my information. I took my phone out of my pocket and entered George's Instagram account to confirm what Daniel had said.

"It's her."

That was all I could say as I gave him the phone to look at the picture. She was skinnier, less tanned, and definitely more serious. But that's Skylar, the girl who I've spent 3 years with and who left me the day after I became world champion.

Never have I felt so betrayed by someone. I was used to being left behind by people, my dad did that to me all the damn time. She made me believe in love for the first time in my life, but she just played me. She just took off and left, I had some money in our room and she took that too. I called for weeks if not months, I texted and I went to her parents' home.

She was nowhere to be found and I understood the message, she had what she wanted. I would've married her and she could've taken more than what she did. But that is all in the past, or so I thought until this morning.

"Do you want me to talk to them? I could tell them that you won't appear if she is in the project, they will prefer to have your presence. She can very well be a nuisance. What she did wasn't right. They will try to use that drama," he is worried, and rightfully so. This could be used against me.

"Don't do that. She is good at her job, I will just ignore her as she will probably do to me," I say calmly and he nods.

"Tell me if you change your mind, you are my main concern. This will be a good year, she is in the past and this year is about you and the team making history," he says as he gets up and so do I.

"I am fine, she doesn't affect me anymore. I don't care about her presence," I tell him firmly and he chuckles.

"You can't fool me. I know that's bullshit, and I also think you are justified in those feelings, what she did was low but maybe ignoring it will be the best. There is nothing good that can come out of it," he says as he puts his hand on my shoulder.

"What did you want to talk about?" I ask as I see him head to the door.

"I just wanted to check up on you before the first practice of the year starts. I guess I was in for a ride without knowing," he says as I give him a small smile.

"I'm going to put the race suit on and I will head to the garage in a few minutes. I will see you there," I say as I leave the room.

I just know for a fact that my family won't like this. Everyone loved her, and that's a lot to say. Even my dad seemed to like her, she had a strong personality so he didn't have much of a chance against her. I never had a chance against her.