Ⲥⲏⲇⲣⲧⲉⲅ 4

♪ I loved you truly
Gotta laugh at the stupidity ♪

Skylar Abbott POV

Seeing Max so early wasn't in my plans, I really thought I could prevent it for a longer time. I also don't know what there is between him and George but they are clearly not friends. Seeing Sophie and Victoria was like someone punched a hole in my chest, I loved them so much but I also knew my limits.

I couldn't contact them after leaving Max, they would be too busy being by his side. I just moved on as best as I could. I wondered if he is with Ava now.

I will tell you who Ava is. She and Max dated for a year when he first started Formula 1, she left him as he was starting his second season. She came at the beginning of the 2021 season, 5 years later. She was sick and wanted to make peace with the people she left behind.

Max asked for permission before even answering her call. She was a super sweet girl, Sophie and Victoria assured me she was no threat to me, and Max did too. They said Max never loved anyone like he loved me, with her it was a bit more superficial. Maybe too superficial.

She met with us for the first time on April 16th, while we were there for the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix. She looked a bit pale and skinnier but she thanked me for allowing her to come to the weekend and meet with Max.

She called him the love of her life, she wanted to leave in peace. She had a year or two to live. I just remember vividly the words she told me that day when Max was in practice.

"He loves you," she almost whispered as Max went to his car and I looked at her confusedly.

"What?" I ask confusedly.

"Max. He loves you, why would you risk having me in your way?" She asks as she turns to me and I find the question odd.

"I have been with him for a year and a half, I trust him. And I sure hope he does love me," I say as I try to lighten the mood with an awkward laugh. But something told me it was deeper than that.

"He was the love of my life, I am glad I got to see him again, he has been doing so good," she says as she watches Max getting in the car to start the practice session.

"He is the love of my life, I understand what you feel. I hope this weekend brings you some happiness in such a tough moment," I answered in the most polite way I could as I felt the environment here was getting trickier.

"I hope you don't get disappointed, you seem like a good person. You could do better," she says before I get called by my team while they filmed Sergio.

Her words never left my mind. I wish I had listened, she told me everything I needed to know. She was right, I was a good person. That's in the past now.

"You don't look too good," Joseph says and I shake my head. Joseph is taking care of the crew that is filming Red Bull, which is in the garage next door to Mercedes. Lucky me.

"I am just fine," I tell him as I give him a small smile.

"Try lying to someone who doesn't know you. If you need to switch to another team just talk to us. No one will mind," he was comforting me so I gave a quick hug as a gesture of appreciation.

I stopped to watch George as he was doing his lap time and I must've been really attentive because next thing I knew there was a camera pointing at me and my face was on the screen. It only said my name but I knew that would be enough for everyone to know I was back.

Fucking hell! This wasn't supposed to have happened this fast. Why is everything going against me? I needed this job but I didn't need the problems adjacent to it. Fuck! I told the team they could get some rest once the practice ended so they could eat and rest before qualifying came. I leave the garage and I see Victoria, she smiles and signals me to follow her and Sophie joins us too.

I did it, because I sure didn't wasn't in the mood for a public argument on my first weekend back. We stopped in the middle of the trucks and no camera was in sight.

"Why?" That was the only word that left her mouth and I shrug.

"What? Why are you asking me why? Is that everyone's question?" I ask as I feel frustration kicking in and Victoria seemed pissed.

"You ended a long-lasting relationship by leaving him after the biggest day of his career. We want to know why, you can't blame us for that Skylar!" Sophie says as she was obviously frustrated too and I am dumbfounded.

"He didn't tell you why? This is even worse than I thought. He just said I left? Fantastic!" I am now angry at that asshole for making me the bad guy. I knew I would be the villain for not doing it face to face, for lacking the courage, but he just straight up made it seem like I fucking ghosted him.

"Sky! You went to the party, let him fall asleep by your side and you were gone by the time he woke up. How the fuck would he know why you left? He is not a physic, you abandoned him just like that. He called you thousands of times, texted just as much, he went to talk to your parents. They didn't even know yet. What you did was not right!" Victoria cut me like a knife would. I felt like I could very well bleed to death here.

"I need to leave!" I say as I look for DTS' motorhome. As soon as I reach one of the empty bedrooms, I lock the door and try to calm my breathing.

I can't be having panic attacks. It took longer than I would like to but I was able to calm myself down. How did this even happen? Did he lie to them or there was really nothing there when he woke up? No... No!