Chapter 16: Hermosa Food Fair

Everly: ARA!!!!!!

Everly: WHY R U THERE????

Everly: AND NOT HERE????

Everly: WITH ME??????

Leila: Anong meron?

Everly: SHE'S AT APOLLO'S BOOTH

Leila: She's helping Hacienda Arcangel?

***

Just like what I had predicted, the week after Apollo fired Mary Ann the whole Hacienda Arcangel was in shambles. Not because she was that efficient or good at her job. That bitch purposely sabotaged some of the nearest projects and initiatives of Hacienda Arcangel by not turning over her files and just disappearing off the face of the earth.

But everyone's coping. Or at least, everyone is trying.

And I am a little bit tempted to ask Apollo about his little joke last week if I wanted to have my job back. But my lady balls would shrink every time I think of it.

I'm just not cut for the job.

I am an art curator now. Art curators might do a lot of planning and organizing of art exhibitions at museums, galleries, and other institutions, but the whole retail side of a whole-ass hacienda and a farm is just not my cup of tea.

Let's just stick to what we know.

But then again, ayoko rin namang hindi tumulong. Maybe I can help with other things?

So when I saw Angelica running like a headless chicken in the kitchen. I stopped her and grabbed her shoulders with both hands. "Girl, calm the hell down. Anong meron?" I asked her as she panted and caught her breath.

"Nagkakagulo lang po kaming mga tauhan kasi may event po sa plaza na sasalihan ng Hacienda ngayon."

"Oh. What is it?" I immediately ask, genuinely wanting to help. "And what could I do to help you, guys?"

"Busy po ang lahat sa paghahanda para mamaya sa Hermosa Food Fair," mabilis na pag-eexplain ni Angelica. "All hands on deck po bilang wala pa ring kapalit si Ate Mary Ann tapos hindi rin dumating 'yung mga babaeng usually tumatao sa booth po natin." Napahinto siya at biglang nanlaki ang mga mata, para bang bigla siyang may naisip. "Naku, Miss Ara! Medyo magulo po talaga lahat ngayon! Nagising po ba namin kayo sa ingay namin?"

Umiling ako. Kanina pa ako gising. Simula nang bumalik ako dito sa Hermosa, naging morning person na talaga ako.

Feeling a little guilty over Mary Ann's termination, I couldn't help but offer my help. "Kung all hands on deck pala, I can help too."

Umiling ito, malungkot ang mukha. "Sorry, Miss Ara. Kailangan ko po muna tanungin si Sir Apollo."

I held out a finger to her face. "No need to ask. Ako na ang tatawag sa kanya." Using the new smartphone he bought me, I punched his number and waited for him to answer.

After the third ring, Apollo finally answered. "Yes, Sahara?"

"Hey, I heard all-hands on deck daw sa Hermosa Food Fair. Why hasn't anyone asked me to join the fair?"

Without missing a beat, Apollo responded amiably. "You can go there, Sahara. It's open to everyone, maybe you can ask Everly to come with you."

"No, what I meant was I'd like to help you, guys," I clarified then added, "I'm not going there as a customer. I want to help Angelica man the booth."