Chapter 13: A Cheater's Perspective

Leila: Heard someone got smashed last night

Everly: Ooohhh!!!!!

Everly: Reed said a knight-in-shining-armor came in

Everly: To save the damsel in distress at his bar

Ara: Oh fuck meeeeeeeee

Ara: It was so embarrassing!!!

Leila: CALL US NOW!!!

***

Surprisingly, I wasn't turned away at the bar's door and was immediately ushered to the bar seats. But as soon as I jumped onto one, I immediately learned why.

"Ara? What are you doing here?" Reed asked behind the bar.

I leaned both of my elbows down the bar and stared at him. "Drinking."

A bartender slid a newly-opened Corona bottle with a lime inside of it in front of me. I flashed him a fake smile and took a huge gulp. Damn, drinking with an empty stomach? That's a classic old-Sahara move.

"I know, but why are you alone?" he asked. This time, he was the one looking down on me with his arms in front of his chest. "Wait. Is Everly here with you?"

I shook my head and then shooed him away. "No, it's just me. So you can go na, shoo!"

The annoying ass just smirked at me. "It's my bar, Ara."

"Of course," I said rolling my eyes. "Then, just leave me alone. Attend to your other patrons, for fuck's sake." I took the bottle of Corona and tried to finish it off with three solid gulps.

"Nope. I'm too intrigued to leave you alone," he said flippantly. "So what are we drinking to tonight? Are we celebrating? Throwing a pity party for your failed marriage? Your ex-boyfriend slash stepbrother? Your failing career?"

"Sumusobra ka na ha!" I said pointing at his mug.

"It's kinda fun being in this position," he said, chuckling and swatting my hand away. "No wonder lagi mo akong inaasar kapag nakikita mo ako."

I rolled my eyes at him again. "Whatever."

"So, what's your drink of choice?"

"You bartend here, Mr. Owner?" I asked, sarcastically.

"Yup," he answered, chipper. "C'mon, pick your poison, Mrs. Reyes. It's on the house."

I stopped myself from lunging at him and scratching the smug grin off his fucking face. "Fuck off," I hissed. "I'll have a Long Island Iced Tea."

"Someone's really trying to drown in their sorrows, huh?"

"Can't you just do your fucking job?" I snapped at him.

He probably saw that I wasn't in banter mode and was literally angry about something, his smug smile slipped off, and did a mock salute instead before he started making my drink.

"Alright. One Long Island Iced Tea for one Miss Ara Israel."

***

After three glasses of Long Islands, I was grinning at my new favorite person, Reed. Aside from giving me the said drinks, he also gave me a platter full of Filipino street food. From fish balls, squid balls, and chicken balls to isaw, barbecue, and cut-up hotdogs.

"Reed, I have a question for you," I said all of a sudden, sipping on my fourth glass of Long Island. "Why do people cheat?"

"Wow, we're going that deep already? You just got here," he took a sip from his beer.