Chapter 4: Good Night, Apollo

Leila: I'm here now!

Leila: Savi's sleeping na

Leila: What's going on?

Everly: Ara knows about the engagement

Leila: WHAT'S GOING ON

Everly: And she's freaking out

Leila: oh no

***

There's no Mrs. Arcangel.

"Holy shit," I said to myself, still shocked as I walked past the entryway of Casa Arcangel. You'd think you're in a haunted mansion by how it looked outside. Not enough lights were on and no one was really there. Even the ranchands weren't around anymore.

Shit. Don't tell me ako lang ang mag-isang matutulog dito buong gabi?

I was supposed to go straight to the kitchen when I noticed the lights inside the dining room were on. Carefully, I walked inside and froze when I saw the people occupying the seats around the dining table.

Apollo, Don Eric, and my mother.

It was like no time had passed. I'm still late for dinner and they are all waiting for me to show up. But we all know that's not the case. Time has indeed passed, five years to be exact.

And everything has changed.

"Anak..."

My eyes went to my mom and I watched her stand up from her chair and ran towards me. I was immediately engulfed by her hug and the first thing I noticed about her is that she has grown... smaller. She looks more frail, thinner, and older.

She's still beautiful, there's no doubt about that. Her beauty will never leave her no matter how old she gets. I just didn't expect her to age this bad. Like ten years has passed, not five.

"I can't believe it!" sigaw nito habang mahigpit pa ring nakayakap sa akin. "Noong sinabi ni Apollo na umuwi ka na, hindi ako makapaniwala!"

My eyes automatically went to Apollo, and his face was unreadable. "Yes, I just returned this morning," I answered her lamely, my hands trapped. And even if they weren't, I don't have it in me to return her hug.

She chose these men over me five years ago. They are her family, not me.

"My baby's finally back! My baby is home!" my mother exclaimed as she let me go. Her hands went up to my cheeks and her eyes roamed my face, as if she's cataloging its features. "Lalo kang gumanda, Ara," sabi pa nito habang hinahawakan ang buhok ko. "Ang haba na rin ng buhok, and it's black!"

"Yeah, I had to grow up," I said to her, my eyes now trained on her face. I watched the smile on her face slowly disappear, I didn't feel any satisfaction how that well-placed dig hit her.

"Halika, kumain na tayo," she said, dismissing my comment. "We should celebrate your—"

I stopped her from finishing that thought. "I'm only here for a couple of days. I'll be leaving next week."

My mother paused. "Ha? Bakit? Bakit aalis ka agad?" she started to unravel, fast. I can see the panic in her eyes and I know she's about to hug me again, as if that could contain me here and not leave her again.

"I have work in Manila," I said to stop her from coming closer to me. "Also, I'm just here temporarily."

"Pero babalik ka naman, diba?" she asked, as if she didn't hear me say that me being here isn't permanent. "Babalikan mo ako?" she asked again, her eyes pleading. I took a step back from her, not really ready for any of this.