Chapter 17: What Could've Been

Everly: Hey, it's the last day of the fair

Everly: Can you come with me sa church?

Ara: Sure. For what tho?

Everly: Need to double-check lang the measurements

Ara: For wedding decorations?

Everly: Yup. Come with me pls????

Ara: Okay, bridezilla

***

It's the third and last day of the Food Fair.

Everyone at Hacienda Arcangel is just excited for this day to come. Aside from the fact that today is the last day, the feast after will be the next level. No wonder there's no need for a karaoke machine because the employees will literally get their mid-year bonuses!

I really wasn't expecting Apollo to be this kind of boss. Generous, kind, and just. If I didn't get involved with him before, I would have believed it immediately seeing how straight-laced he was when we first met. But my last weeks here in Hermosa five years ago, before Leila and I left, tarnished that Apollo to me.

But seeing how he is now as a boss and as a leader to his people, it reminds me of the man I fell in love with. Pero wala na 'yung tao na 'yun, seeing the physical changes in his was a big indication of that.

That old Apollo wouldn't have tattoos, longer hair, and facial hair. This man is a different man, like how the Sahara of today is different from that reckless girl who fell hopelessly in love with the clean-cut golden boy of Hermosa.

Life happened to both of us.

And that's just... fine.

"Hey, Apollo. Baka ma-late lang ako saglit sa opening mamaya," I told him as we started eating our breakfast Manang Jocelyn prepared for us. "I need to go with Everly to the church for maid of honor duties."

He looked up from his plate. "You're Everly's maid of honor?"

"Yup," I answered with a smile. "Is that okay with you?"

His brows furrowed in confusion. "Why are you asking me? It's Everly's choice."

I laughed at his response. Minsan may pagka-sabaw rin ito si Apollo. "No, silly," I teased him. "Okay lang ba na ma-late ako mamaya?"

He didn't react to my teasing. instead, his eyes went to the grandfather clock in the kitchen. "What time are you going to the church?"

It's only 6:15 AM. "Before 7 AM. We need to be there before the mass starts."

"We don't open at the fair until 9 AM, so it's fine," he said simply. Then he paused as if he was thinking if it was safe to ask me something. But I smiled at him again, masyadong maganda ang gising ko today para masira ng isang tanong. I mean, kung ano man 'yun.

"Nakapag-simba ka ba dati sa simbahan?"

Hmm... No.

"Do you even know me, Apollo?" I asked back, chuckling. Mukha bang kasama sa priorities ko 'yun noon? "Syempre, hindi. Tsaka to be fair, wala namang nagyaya sa aking magsimba noon nung nakatira ako dito."

Napaisip rin ako. Parang hindi ko naman nakitang nagsimba noon si Apollo. Kahit si Leila, parang wala naman ding nagyaya sa aking magsimba dati.

I took a bite of my cheese-filled pandesal. "Ikaw ba, as the golden boy of Hermosa, nagsisimba ka ba?"