Chapter 21: Workplace Drama

Everly: Hey, I heard what happened

Everly: Are u okay, Ara?

Leila: Please reply Ara

Leila: We're worried

Ara: I'm okay, girls.

Leila: DO I HAVE TO GO HOME

Leila: TO SEE YOU????

Ara: I'm okay na

Ara: PLEASE CHILL

***

For thirty minutes. I've been sitting here in my car for thirty minutes. Hindi ko alam kung bakit sobrang kinakabahan ako ngayon. Babalik lang naman ako sa pagta-trabaho. Wala naman akong gagawin kundi humarap muna sa mga art pieces at tapusin lahat ng itinambak nilang mga papeles sa cubicle ko.

I double-checked my stuff again. I got my smartphone, my car keys, my company ID badge, wallet, earphones, mints, and contraceptive pills. My makeup and hygiene kits are in my workbag, too.

Lifting my eyes to the Makati Museum building, I couldn't help but ask myself if I was ready to return to work. I love my job. But is it the right decision to come back here despite knowing that Dash has deep connections here?

I'm really hoping that it won't matter.

Isa ko pang iniisip, saan ako titira dito? Last night, I had to check in at a three-star hotel overnight. My home base before was in Baguio, tumutuloy lang ako sa inuupahan naming apartment dito sa Makati kapag kailangang nandito ako.

It pays to be the wife of the COO—or the Child of the Owner.

Ngayong hiwalay na kami ni Dash, ano kaya ang magiging reception sa akin ng mga tao?

Bahala na. Iilan lang naman ang nakakaalam, most of them nasa HR pa. I don't think they would ask me to come back today to work again if they didn't want me here, right?

Fuck. Bahala na. I can't afford not to have work right now, I still have personal bills to pay! Tsaka kailangan kong mag-provide for myself again.

Mag-isa na lang ako, pero alam kong kakayanin ko.

***

With my workbag slung over my shoulder, flawless makeup on, heels in place, and my corporate power dressing on point, I confidently swiped my badge and entered the Makati Museum admin office.

Fake it 'til you make it.

Just like what they said, right?

"Welcome back, Miss Ara."

Flashing a friendly smile at Quin, the office receptionist, I walked towards the reception desk and told her about Miss Judy asking me to meet her today.

"Hi, Quin," I greeted her with the same polished smile. "Miss Judy from HR asked me to meet her in the conference room at 9 AM. Is she here already?"

She checked on her desktop computer and then typed on her keyboard for a while. Then when she was finished, she pointed me at the conference room as if I didn't know where it was. "You can go ahead, Miss Ara. They are waiting for you there."

Wait a minute.

They? This meeting is not just with Miss Judy? Also, nandito na sila? Late na ba ako?