Chapter 5: Mother and Daughter Talk

Ara: Hermosa mosquitoes hate me

Leila: Nagdala ka ba ng mosquito patch

Leila: Buy one sa drugstore sa CDH

Ara: Haven't gone there pa

Ara: I'll go to mama first

Leila: Good luck!

Everly: Dito ka na mag lunch

Ara: See you later!

***

I woke up refreshed the next day, and on a mission. Hindi ko man maintindihan ang sarili ko kung bakit dito ako pumunta matapos masira ang marriage ko, but I know I have to make the most out of it.

I wanted a happy life and I thought I had that with Dash for the last three years, but now that I am back to square one. Maybe it's time to really have a clean slate before I move forward to another chapter of my life, in another place.

Where would I go after ironing out all the problems I left here five years ago?

Same with Hermosa, I can't go back to Baguio.

Should I move back to Manila? Or will it be better for me to go outside Luzon? Maybe I could go even further... like moving to a different continent.

But that's for another day to think about and to look forward. Like we did before leaving Hermosa, I need to take one day at a time... even if I'm alone now. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that Leila and Savi have their very-much deserved happy-ever-afters in Singapore now. Everly is marrying her dream guy soon, too.

That's what I've always wanted and dreamed of for my friends that turned out to be my found family.

Maybe this part of my life, I have to really face it on my own.

First part of the plan is to talk to my mother. So I texted Apollo's assistant and asked for the address of Don Eric's place. She replied after an hour, so I already took a shower, and ate my breakfast by that time. Alone.

But that's fine. Kailangan ko na masanay na mag-isa ulit.

***

Scratching the back of my knees, I waited patiently for my mother to show up in their receiving area. Pinapasok ako ng isa sa mga helpers nila, as if they've been waiting for me to arrive all morning. Their home is still huge, but it's no Casa Arcangel.

Ang lamang lang ng bahay nila ay maraming tao dito at hindi mukhang inabandona. It looks cozy and well-lived in. The garden looks pretty, as my mother's bed of flowers and hanging orchids were all in full bloom.

My mother was in her house dress when she entered the receiving area, her face glowing and her eyes full of hope.

"Hi, ma," I stood up as I greeted my mother. "I'm here to apologize for leaving early last night, and to talk to you for closure."

My mother paused and looked at me in confusion. "Closure?"

"I want us to talk about what happened to us five years ago. I just want to close that chapter so I can move on properly and start a new chapter of my life with a clean slate."

"What does that mean?" she asked as she slowly lowered to a seat beside me. "Hihingi ka ng closure para gumaan ang loob mo sa paglayo ulit sa akin?"

I stared at her, for her to see how serious I am. "Ma, Hermosa is not for me," I said, carefully. "You have to accept that, I have accepted that this place will never welcome me."