CHAPTER 27

Alexine

I packed my stuff as the bell finally rang. I promised to help Mrs Garcia to carry the heavy amount of paper to her new office, so I had to hurry up.

Lilith and Kalila waved me goodbye, before walking out of class together. I responded with a smile. I really don't know how this happend. A week ago, Kalila wouldn't even look at me and Lilith would roll her eyes at everything I'd say.

But I'm happy to have no problem's with anyone.

I ran the stairs down, walked to Mrs Garcia's old office. It was a small little room, no wonder that she'll move into another bigger room. She typed something in her computer, as I entered. As I took the heavy stack of papers with both of my hands, she looked up. "Thank you so much for your help, Miss Lacroix! I don't know what I would do without you", she smiled at me genuinely.

I shook my head. "No worries, Mrs Garcia." And headed to her new office, at the other side of the school. I cursed at myself for not taking off my bag before. How can paper's be so heavy?

As I try to walk faster, not seeing where I was going, someone bumped into me. The paper's were flying everywhere around us, and I landed on my back.

"No. No no no", I say as I see the mess on the ground. There was a small laughter to hear, and I looked up to see Nicolas smiling amused at the sight. I'm gonna rip his head off. "You!", I pointed at him unbelievably and then at the mess around us.

"For godssake, watch out", I say and try to pick up the paper. His hands were in his pockets as he looked down at me. Nicolas pulled out his hands and bend down to grab my hand and pull me up. "Don't be ridiculous, Alex. You're making your hands dirty."

What?

I looked up at him. On my forehead was a big questionmark, as I waited for him to say more. But he just bend down to pick the lost papers up. I was standing in shock for over five minutes, watching him calmly picking up one for one. After Nic was finished, he picked up the heavy stack of papers with one hand. The other hand was back in his jacket's pockets.

"Thank you, but what was that for?", I asked and followed him. He ignored it. "Where am I supposed to bring this?", Nicolas responded with a question instead.

"Mrs Garcia's new office, at the end of the hall", I pointed at it. He nods and turned around again to face me. "Go home, I'm gonna carry it. I have basketball practice in a few minutes, so don't even think about arguing with me now", Nic warningly says as he nodds at me for the last time and walks the hall down.

I couldn't move for a moment and stared at him as he continues to walk. Did I imagine it? I must have.

-

After walking down the streets to my apartment where I lived alone with my dad, I searched for the key's in my pocket's. Dad was almost never at home because of his work. He had to work full time jobs to pay the rent and the food.

I wish I could give him the world and the money, so he would never have to work anymore. That's why I'm trying to study harder and don't dissapoint. A few years ago, we were so deep in debt that he had to take a large amount of credit from.. people.

I was scared for him, that the people would do him something, because they looked not nice.

Month's after I found out they were member's in a dangerous organization. After finding out, I begged dad to not take any money from them anymore and started to work part time job's.

He promised me that he won't do it again. And I'm relieved. As I entered the kitchen, there was a note on the table.

There's lasagne in the fridge, my dear. I won't be coming home until tomorrow anymore. I'm sorry
- Dad

I looked at his handwriting for a moment. I really missed the time with him and mom. I missed the old years when we were a happy family, when dad didn't start drinking and working all the time and when Mom was still alive.

How did our little but happy family turn into this?

As I put the cold lasange in the microwave and watched it get heated, I washed my hands. It was unusual quiet. Usually, our neighbour Mister Griffin would make weird noises and you could hear him cough and laugh sometimes if you're listening closely. Our walls weren't that good.

I opened the microwave and pulled out the warm lasagne. It smelled and looked good. As I ate a bit, there was a loud noise coming from outside. I immediately jumped off my chair and walked up to the window. There were two big cars parking infront of the building. One of the men got out of the car and I recognized his familiar looking face.

I'm screwed.

But how was it possible? Dad promised me to stay away from them, why are they here again?

I saw something shiny in his hands, as he put it inside his jacket. A gun.

Dad lied. He had borrowed money again and didn't payed back. They are here for him, but Dad isn't in town right now. That means..

Oh fuck.

I looked around if there was anything I could need, and then, I opened the door and ran to the emergency exit on the left. There was no time to waste or think. I know these kind of people, I grew up with them. They will chase and hunt you down forever if you don't hand them their money back. They would hurt anybody.

I sprinted the stairs down, two steps each and made sure to not make any loud noises. I had to take a deep breath when I finally was standing infront of the exit's door.

Two cars, about ten men. I need to be quick if I don't want to get caught. They know how I look like.

"If he won't be there, his daughter will. Don't worry, we're getting our money soon, if he ever wants his daughter back", I overheard their conversation. As I said, the walls weren't that good and you could hear every single noise from inside and outside.

I pressed my hands against my mouth.

Bang, a loud noise came from behind. I flinched. The wall next to me had a hole in it, just a few inches from my head away.
I didn't dared myself to turn around. There was something inside the hole. It was a small bullet.

"I give you a minute to run away. And if I catch you, I will ruin your life. Mark my words, Alexine."

-

trying to update more often rn