Untold Surprise // Chapter 4

**The day has finally arrived. It's the day the girls get the chance to put their name in the Goblet of Fire.**

"Are you ready to officially become a Triwizard champion!" Magnolia squeals as she curls her bangs.

"Mags, you do know we are both entering our names right?" Nicole asks genuinely concerned.

"Well duh, but I really only came to keep you company. If I got picked I think I would shit my pants."

"You should have more confidence, Mags. I mean you are the smartest person in Divination by far!" Nicole says while gathering a potion from her cauldron.

"Oooookay when one of the trials is reading some tea leaves or finding a constellation, you let me know," Magnolia says while glancing away from the mirror over to her friend.

"Oh, I was meaning to ask you what you need those herbs for. Neville looked at me like I was insane while I was looking around for them."

"You remember those twins? Well, they asked if I would make them an Ageing Potion. If I'm being honest I have no idea what it is for, but I wanted an excuse to break in the new caldron," Nicole answered while tucking the two vials into her robe, "You ready to head to the down."

"That depends, how does my hair look?" Magnolia says jokingly.

"I'll take that as a yes. Come on," Nicole says as the two laugh and make their way towards the Great Hall.

Once the two girls make it inside they see their friends sitting near the end of the tables and go to join them.

"Would you please just wear the pin?" Hermione pleaded with the boys.

"I'm not wearing a bloody pin that says S.P.E.W on it," Ron argued.

"Oh, like throw up? Why are you trying to hand out throw-up pins?" Nicole asked.

"No, not spew. S.P.E.W. It stands for Society for the Promotion of Elfish Welfare.," Hermione answers.

Magnolia perks up, "Oh S.P.E.W because oh how vile it is to still be using House Elves in this day and age."

"Well not what I was going for but I love your thinking. Would you girls wear one?"

"Dismantling a society norm while wearing a cute pin. Count us in!" Magnolia says grabbing two from Hermione's small cardboard box.

While the girls place their new pins on their lapels. Dumbledore rises from the teacher's table placed at the head of the Great Hall and makes his way to the podium to introduce the Goblet of Fire. As he begins to speak the goblet materializes in front of the students. The goblet appears to be carved into the wooden pedestal it sat atop of. Nicole studies the ornate statue, but can't decipher whether it is left incomplete.

"As you know, four champions will compete in the Triwizard Tournament. One from each of the participating schools," Dumbledore went on calmly, "They will be judged on how well they perform each of the tasks. The champion with the most points at the end of the third task will receive the cup. As I am sure you have surmised the champion will be determined by an impartial judge... The Goblet of Fire." Almost in response to his words, the cup in front of him burst into a magnificent blue flame, dancing around the rim of the goblet. "Anyone who wishes to cast their name into the goblet, must clearly write their name and school on a slip of paper, and drop it into the flames. Hopeful students who want to participate in the Triwizard Tournament have twenty- four hours to do so. The champions will be announced tomorrow at the Halloween Feast. To ensure no underage student yields to temptation. I will be drawing an Age Line around the Goblet of Fire. No one under the age of seventeen will be allowed to cross the line. As for our Ilvermorny witches, I will now place a copy of your student IDs into the fire. Last but not least, entering one's name into the goblet is no small matter. Once chosen to be a champion there is no turning back and the chosen champion must see the competition to its fruition," with that Dumbledore bids the students goodnight and leaves the students to their own will.