Hades, Meet Jo

Hades, Meet Jo.

[timeline: between Lords of the Underworld and Retribution]

---------

"Who the fuck are you?"

It took everything Joxeia had not to laugh out loud. But then, as a snake, he couldn't really laugh, only watch with amusement as Hades walked into his attic space in Lucifer's palace.

Jo had to admit; the Greek god cut a pretty picture— always had.

Tall and leanly muscled, a perfectly sculpted Greek face that would've been quite pretty if it wasn't distorted with a venomous snarl, skin tone a warm olive, glowing blue eyes swinging around the room. It was clear the god didn't understand why he couldn't pick up on Jo's exact location. He was used to being the most powerful one in the room and Jo had a feeling Hades would immediately become threatened by his abilities. And when Hades was threatened, he automatically reverted to survival mode, which meant Jo would have to clean up a mess.

He'd have to play with him cautiously.

You have balls to enter my room without permission. Joxeia projected to Hades, who swung around to scan the room, alarmed he couldn't pinpoint Jo's exact location.

"And you have none if you aren't going to show yourself," Hades threw back challengingly, turning slowly and scanning the dimly lit room. It was so hard to pinpoint the location of the creature that was lurking in the corners of what looked like a hoarding situation. Hades could barely tell what anything in the room was. It was just random collections of items that ranged in age, from ancient scrolls stuffed into the arms of a terracotta soldier to handmade little glass figurines lined up along a narrow window.

Hades knew what he was looking for, because he knew what he'd seen as he laid in Lucifer's bed. The moment had been so quiet, so peaceful, his arms wrapped around Lucifer in a way he'd never clung to anyone before. It was a private moment. Hades had looked up, because strangely he felt as if he were being watched, and when his eyes landed on a snake disappearing into the vent overheard, he'd felt a chill like no other.

Whatever that creature was, it was strong. Very strong.

And Lucifer hadn't seemed surprised at all when he'd brought it up the next morning.

"Hm? Oh, that's St. John," Lucifer said as he tugged his boot on, zipping it up and pausing to lift his crystal blue eyes on Hades, who was glaring at him from his blanket nest on the bed.

"Your pet snake?" Hades asked. Because that had not been a pet. He'd felt magic, a strong ancient magic that far surpassed his own and that made him nervous. The stronger a creature was, the more deadly a threat it posed to him and his own.

"He's more of a friend," Lucifer replied, zipping up his other boot and rising to his feet, "He won't hurt or bother anyone."

"He just watched us have sex last night." Translation: that fucking bothers me. Lucifer heard that underlying bite and turned to look at Hades, who glared at him from the bed. Lucifer had to keep reminding himself he was dating a predator himself. A predator who was tired of being treated like prey. While he certainly knew St. John would never hurt Hades, because if he'd wanted to, he would've done it a long time ago, Hades wasn't confident in that. Even if Lucifer reassured him.

"Perhaps you could request he mind his own business," Lucifer replied, making Hades scowl at him, "He lives here as well, Hades. I can't ask him to leave."

"Sure you can. Tell me where his room is and I'll do it," Hades answered, shoving the blankets back and rising to his feet, making Lucifer frown.

"He's not a fan of visitors."