Chapter 10

Asmodeus's pov

"What the actually living breathing fuck?" Rose exclaims as Lucifer slips out the door. I stare after him. I want to go after him, but Rose is standing there waiting for an explanation.

I growl, "Fucking hell!"

I punch the wall and Fenrir barks. I pull my hand away and Rose is there. She says, "Ashmedai why?"

I meet her eyes as sorrow flashes across our bond. She grabs my hand and tries to draw in her Good. She freezes when there is nothing there. I whisper, "You've lost the power, it came from whatever good thing you were in heaven. That's what the week does: it strips you bare and rebuilds you. That's what Lucifer meant when he said we weren't the same any more. I loved him as an angel and it's never felt the same since the week. I love him for who he is now, but it can never be what it once was."

"I'm different too now. I'm not the same angel you loved," She whispers. I brush her hair out of her face. My hand cups her chin forcing her to meet my eyes, "No, Thorns, you're not, but I'll tell you a secret. You suit the demonic lifestyle better, it's like it was on the edge of your angel side just waiting. This is you. You can still make good choices and be here. Not like there where they made you kneel to others. Here we bow to no one."

My next words are heavy, "I'll bow to no one."

"Where is he?"

"He's not coming."

"The Prince never is here."

"I bet he's handsome."

They're whispering about me. Trying to gauge whether I show up tonight or not. I nod at the guards and the announcer says, "Asmodeus, heir to the throne, second in command, Commander of demonic legions, Devil of Lust, the Demonic Prince, Angel of Death, Gatekeeper, the Prince of Darkness."

I walk into the throne room. I let my power explode around me. It swirls in a mix of dark and light blue smoke as Fenrir barks harshly at my side. It falls deathly silent in the room. I say nothing. I could be made of steel as I walk straight down the path. Everyone including the six other devils, Rose included, kneel, I can feel the distrust and fear radiating from some people. But I force myself to not care in front of a room who would tear me apart at the first sign of weakness. My face has turned to stone. My crown rests on my head heavily as I make my way to the throne. I do not bow to Lucifer, I don't even acknowledge him as I head to my smaller throne next to his. His is made of regal gold, mine a cold harsh black. I stand and face everyone. Everyone's heads are bowed and I feel some powers trying to find mine and compare, simply a test that I squash by clamping my own power around their tendrils. A few people scream and collapse. Rose glances up at me still kneeling. I meet her gaze coldly and harshly, but allow love to flow through our mate bond. She looks back down and I sit. I say, power radiating in my voice, "Rise and continue."

People rise and the party continues. Music playing and people dancing. Lust washes the room and I drink it in hungrily. I turn my face to Lucifer. He nods, his face nearly as cold as mine. He allows his people to see some of the warmth, I do not. I watch the party with sheer boredom written across my face. I watch as Rose walks around. Her dress has puff sleeves that narrow in close as they go to her wrists. The bodice almost has a court cut neckline except the fabric is a sheer lace everywhere but two cuts of fabric covering her breasts. The boning of the bodice, I can see, has knife blades passing alongside them. She's already learning our ways and fast. The lacey gown spills onto the ground. The deep red lace sheer again except the body tight skirt that rests mid thighs. Her daggers of choice are pressed into thigh sheaths that the split of the gown has. I growl as demons stare at her beauty. They flinch away from her nearly white eyes, a reminder of her rank. Lucifer's bond flairs with panic and I tear my eyes away to see Sin approaching the thrones. I use my power to stop him from coming up the last step. Fenrir paces that step growling at Sin. My power and the hound enough to keep him from coming closer.