Don't Leave Me

Poppy: So I was thinking about getting more into like reading short stories and essays instead of full novels.

Viva: Ooh, I love that for you!

Poppy: Yeah, thanks. But um...just to circle back real quick, I still have a million questions about what happened.

Viva: I used to live at the Troll Tree, I was there when you were born, you were SO cute! Kinda like you are now, only teensier and weensier! Oh, do you wanna make candy necklaces that we never finish because we eat all the candy?!

Poppy: Obviously! But...Vivi, I'm just gonna need you to focus here a-and tell me everything. Why am I only learning about you now? What happened.

Viva hesitated, she didn't like to talk about what happened to her, but Poppy did need to know the truth.

Viva: We got accidentally separated. And I lived here ever since, the end! Wanna get some milkshakes?!

Poppy: Accidentally separated...? Viva, what are you-

Viva suddenly tossed a milkshake towards Poppy and she quickly caught it. Poppy sighed and took a few sips.

Poppy: Viva, I need you to focus on the topic, I-

Viva: Here, take this!

Viva put a candy bracelet onto Poppy's wrist.

Poppy: Hold on, hold on. We can do this while we talk. It seems like you're trying to avoid talking about this.

Viva: Well...yeah.

Poppy: Is it...that painful?

Viva: I uh...guess so. Yeah...

Poppy sat on the rug sipping her milkshake.

Poppy: Talk to me...

Viva: Um...well, it's kind of complicated, Poppy...you were too young to remember.

Viva got visibly nervous when she saw how fast Poppy was sipping her milkshake.

Poppy: Well, tell me, Viva, I'm 21 now, I think I'll be able to understand.

Viva: You're right...you're right...all I can tell you is that...when Dad was leading all the trolls away, me and a few other trolls didn't make it in time, and the tunnels collapsed.

Poppy thought about it for a moment, then realized what Viva was talking about.

Poppy: Viva, are you talking about the night the trolls escaped Bergen Town?

Viva: Oh...yeah, I guess it was that night.

Poppy: ...Dad told me that story so many times. Ever since I was a little girl, he would share stories of how he single-handedly freed all the trolls, myself included. But whenever I wanted more details, he wouldn't tell me. I knew he was hiding something, but I didn't know what.

Viva: Well...did he ever tell you that...he acted quickly because if he didn't...then you wouldn't be here?

That made Poppy's heart stop and for a second, she thought she was gonna have a heart attack right on the spot.

Poppy: W-What...?

Viva: Yeah...Dad was worried sick and he knew that if the plan wasn't executed, he would lose you...I would've lost my precious baby sister that day...either way, I still did...

Viva pulled Poppy into a tight hug before going back to making the necklaces. Poppy put a hand on her shoulder sipping her milkshake.

Poppy: Vivi, that's awful...but...how come you never tried to find us?

Viva: ...It's a long story...I thought so many times about leaving to...look for you and Dad, but...it's not safe out there.

Poppy: You sound like my boyfriend. He felt the same way, hiding from the Bergens, building a bunker. I was the only one allowed in there. See, I've known Branch since we were kids and...he was like that basically his whole life. It wasn't until about a year ago that he learned that you have to take chances. Viva, I know you're scared, leaving home can be a challenge, but...imagine how Dad must've felt having to abandon the Troll Tree. It was the trolls' only home.

Viva: That's different, Poppy, Dad left because it was the only way to save the trolls.

Poppy: Just like you did with the trolls that were separated from the others. Viva, everyone has to make a sacrifice, just like Dad did.

A strange dizziness suddenly overwhelmed Poppy and she touched her forehead and groaned.

Viva: Poppy...?

Poppy: I feel faint...

Viva gasped softly realizing what was happening, but she didn't tell Poppy. She carefully sat her down on the couch not really making eye contact.

Poppy: Okay...obviously, this is a...a lot for you to talk about...and well...you should...should...

Her vocabulary started to become slurred. Viva seemed to know what was going on, but she still said nothing.

Poppy: Viva...what was in that milkshake...?

Viva: Um...nothing, Poppy, nothing...

Poppy moaned and laid down on the couch, her hand on her forehead. Viva put her hands behind her back and shuffled her feet.

Viva: I'm so sorry, Poppy...this is for your own good.

Poppy: H-Huh...?

That was the last thing Poppy heard from Viva before her eyes closed and she succumbed to slumber. Viva wiped her tears and kissed her little sister on the forehead.

Viva: I hope you'll understand, Poppy...I lost you once, I'm not gonna lose you again...