31

"We don't need a convoluted plan. Both of us, we can pick them off one after the other, drain them of their blood. If they come at us as a collective, it'll be dangerous."
    — Damola

Des woke up to sun rays streaming through her window. She stretched on the bed and slid down before checking the time on her phone. With a gasp, she hurriedly left her room and entered the kitchen to prepare breakfast for her mother.

Since she arrived, she'd taken it upon herself to prepare breakfast for her mother, giving Mrs. Funsho enough time to rest. It was already past eight am, and her mother should have had breakfast so she could take her drugs at seven-thirty.

Since it was already thirty minutes late, Des quickly fried eggs, dished some on a plate, picked out a few slices of bread, and put everything in a tray before making her way to her mother's room. The woman was still sleeping, so Des placed the tray on the bedside table and sat on the bed.

"Mom!" She gently shook her mother. "Breakfast is here."

Mrs. Ibe stirred before opening her eyes. For a moment, her eyes narrowed before focusing on Des. Des smiled. "Get up, mom. It's time to eat and take your drugs."

"Eat?" The woman sat up and stared at the food for a moment before returning her attention to Des. "Who are you?"

Des' heart fell, and a headache immediately came on. She grabbed her mother's hands. "Mom. It's Chioma. Your daughter."

Mrs Ibe gently removed her hand from Des' grip, staring at her like an alien. "Chioma?" She echoed. "Who are you?"

"Mom!" Des' voice broke, tears streaming down her face. "Don't do this now. Please. It's been just two days, and you no longer remember me? Stop this! You have to recall!"

Mrs. Ibe reared back at Des' outburst, her eyes widening with fear. Des reached for her gently. "I'm sorry, mom. It's me. Chioma. Remember me. I'm your daughter. We spoke before you slept last night. What's happening?"

She felt a warm hand on her shoulder and looked back to see Mrs. Funsho standing behind her, a well of sadness in her eyes. The heaviness and finality of it all made her burst into tears.

"Chioma—" Mrs. Funsho wrapped her arms around her. "It's okay. It's okay."

"No! It's not." Des pulled away from the woman and ran out of the room. Still sobbing, she went into her room and shut the door, falling on the bed in a total mess. Her heart hurt with an intensity that crippled her, and she wanted to rewind the time and spend it more with her mom.

Mrs. Funsho walked into the room, a sad smile on her face. "Chioma." She sat on the bed, keeping a distance. "I'm sorry. I know you can never get used to this."

Des sat up and wiped her tears, although it didn't help because it kept pouring. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have reacted that way."

"It's okay," Mrs. Funsho said. "Can I hug you?"

Des responded by throwing herself at her. She cried like a baby in Mrs. Funsho's arms, and when she finally pulled back, Mrs. Funsho's shirt was soaked with tears, and there was an inexplicable pain in her eyes. At that moment, Des felt one with her. Mrs. Funsho has been with her mother even more than Des has. She probably felt more pain than Des did.

"Chioma..." Mrs. Funsho said. "Return to Abuja."

"What?" Des reared back, her eyes wide. "No. She needs me now. I-I can't leave her."

"Chioma." Mrs. Funsho held her hand, and Des felt the affection. "You're like a daughter to me. I love you."

It was the first time Mrs. Funsho confessed love to her, and Des dissolved into sobs again. "Please, don't cry. Just listen to me."