21

"Chioma almost cost you your life."
    — Damola

"Oh shit," Ify woke up with a start, forcing Des awake. They were huddled together on the couch, and soft music was still playing from the karaoke box. "I'm so late, Eruku will have my head." Ify climbed from the couch, and almost stumbled to the floor. "Shit, how did we fall asleep on that couch? My legs hurt." She rushed towards her room.

Des yawned and stretched. Her muscles and limbs hurt because she and Ify had been huddled on a singe couch, but they didn't even know when they fell asleep. It had to be the alcohol. They had so much fun last night, it was unreal. Ify burst into the living room again, this time fully dressed in shorts and a tank top.

"What?" Des blinked up at her. "Did you shower? That was quick."

"Shower?" Ify cried. "I can practically hear Eruku's voice in my head right now. I'll shower when I get to Safari. Now, I have to leave." She hurried to the door. Des watched her struggle with the lock for a few seconds. She finally opened it and turned to Des. "I had so much fun last night. Please come back home fully, I really miss you."

Neither she nor Ify were emotional, so Des knew how much such a simple confession had meant to Ify. She stood from the couch and walked toward her friend, ignoring the soreness in her muscles. "I miss you more. I'll be around for a few more days."

Ify hugged her with a sad smile. "I don't have another break till next week," she said. "I might not be able to make it home tonight."

"I know how it works. Go now, you're getting late."

"Shit." Ify groaned and disappeared out the door. Des laughed and shut the door behind her. Now alone, Des was reminded about everything going on in her life. The soft music from the speaker reminded her of the person who had purchased it, and that she hadn't called to appreciate him. Des groaned and walked to the room where she had left her phone the night before. Whenever she was about to call the General, she always felt nervous. But she loved to hear him speak on the phone.

She picked up her phone from the bed stand and crashed on the bed, tired, even though she had just woken up. She pulled up the General's contact and dialed it. She was excited to speak to him, especially after last night. He picked on the third ring.

"Hello," she called excitedly.

"Hello," he answered. .

Des shut her eyes against the onslaught of emotions his voice released within her. "You just woke up?"

An impatient sigh. "Why are you calling me, Chioma?"

"I-I wanted to thank you for last night," she said. "The karaoke box."

"Whose name was on the card?" He asked.

"Mohammed." Des rolled her eyes. "But I know it was from you."

"Goodbye, Chioma. This is not a line you call whenever you're bored."

"Wait—" Des called and there was silence on the other end. "Uhh. When are you returning?"

"Today."

"Can you come pick me up?" She ventured bravely. There was a long silence again until the line clicked. He had hung up. Des laughed and fell face flat on the bed. She felt giddy, like a high school student who has just been kissed by her crush. She suddenly sat up, remembering that she had never kissed the General, and despite how their relationship was set up, they weren't the sex freaks she had envisioned when this contract was signed.

***

Damola walked into the kitchen, with Babalola behind him. He grunted at the housekeeper who greeted him, and then walked straight to the counter where his glass of milk was already waiting, as was his routine. He gulped it down and filled the glass with water, which he downed too. Babalola was standing at the doorway, watching impatiently.