27(1)

"You need to stop putting your hands on me, Chioma. I've killed men for way less."
    — General Babola.

Sunlight streaming through the window caused Des' eyes to open. With a groan, she sat up on her bed, yawning and stretching her languid bones. She didn't remember when last she felt so relaxed, and it was awesome. However, her stomach was growling terribly, and she remembered that she had not eaten anything since the chicken and chips yesterday.

She managed to open her eyes fully, and a strangled gasp left her throat. The room was strange and familiar at the same time. It was the General's room. The events of last night came crashing back and she covered her eyes in embarrassment. How come he let her fall asleep on his bed? He wasn't in the room and Des quickly climbed down the bed and hurried outside, looking down the hall to make sure it was empty before running down to her room. With a beating heart, she sprinted into the room and shut the door with a bang.

"Oh God," she moaned, a smile blossoming on her face. He let her stay with him on the bed! Did that mean something? Although she was beyond embarrassed, a part of her wanted to key into the fact that it meant something.

Her stomach growled again, reminding her that she still had not eaten. Des gathered her composure and walked out the door, trying desperately to quell her smile as she walked past the General's door. She had slept in his bed! What did that mean?

She was so engrossed in thoughts that she didn't see the soldier standing in the center of the living room until she was almost down the stairs. When he cleared his throat, Des jumped, frightened by the sudden sound. When she saw him, her hand flew to her chest to quell her heart. She recognized the man. He was the tall officer who escorted her to the mall the other day with Winnie. Although the house was always crawling with armed officers, she had never seen him in here before.

"What are you doing standing there?" She asked, eyeing him.

"Hello, Miss Chioma. I'm Omeh. Your designated driver and guard for today," he answered in a robotic voice.

Since he called her by her first name, Des knew it was the General who had sent him. No one else called her Chioma except him. The thought made her frown. Were they back to this? She had not planned on going anywhere today, but since the General thought to send her a guard and driver, maybe she would. After all, she was still with his card. With that,  she shrugged and turned towards the dining area. Adeiza was coming out of the kitchen when she walked in and sat on the table.

"Des," he greeted, in his usual sunny mood. "How are you?"

"I'm fine." She smiled. "Is there anything to eat? I'm starving.

"Do you want scrambled egg toast?".

"Yes, thank you. Anything quick will be fine."

"Coming right up." He disappeared into the kitchen.

As Des waited, she unlocked her phone and called Ify. Ify picked up on the first ring. "Hi, Des!" 

"Ify." Des felt a twinge of sadness for how she and Ify were drifting away from each other. "How are you?"

"I am fine," Ify said softly. "How are you?"

"I'm fine. Are you off today?"

"No. Tomorrow. I hate this job."

Des chuckled. "Who doesn't? But it pays the bill."

"That it does. I've saved up enough money to buy a car. Will you go with me to make the purchase next week?"

"What?" Des' sadness suddenly lifted. "Sure, yes! What day next week?"

"Uh...you know what, I'll let you know tonight. I don't know when I'll be able to take a day off next week."