12

"I don't like the way you speak to me. It's so rude."
    — Des

With nine p.m. getting closer, Des started to get very anxious. She didn't know what business the General was into, and why he would want her to seduce a man. It wasn't unheard of, but it sounded very shady, and she was in enough trouble with her father's creditors already. The General was influential and powerful, he didn't need to wear masks and hire a seductress to get information out of someone. That he was willing to do that said a lot, and she didn't want to be a part of it.

It was why she stayed in her room all day because she thought if he didn't see her, maybe he would forget. But it was eight p.m. now, and she was beginning to worry. He had told her to be ready by nine, but that was yesterday. Did he still need her?

Someone knocked, and Des turned toward the door. "Come in."
It was Adeiza, she was sure. He was the only one who had been in and out of her room since morning. The door opened and Mohammed peeked in. Her heart lodged in her throat. "Hi," Mohammed said, stepping into the room. Des liked the man, but right now, all she felt was distress at his presence. Her gaze slid to the shopping bag in his hand.

"The General said to give this to you." He stopped a few feet away from her and stretched the bag. Then he said the words Des has been dreading. "He said to be downstairs at nine."

She took the bags from Mohammed, her heart falling as he left the room. She didn't want to go, but here she was, left with no choice. Curiously, she opened the bag. In it were a wrapped dress and a jewelry box. Inside the box was a gold necklace and two gold dangly earrings, all of which she would have appreciated under different circumstances.

She reached for the dress. It was a thigh-length bandage dress with spaghetti straps and gold-embellished breast corsets. It was a knockout, one that would look even hotter on her body. Her mood lifted. She got ready quickly, putting on the dress first, then applying light makeup. She finished at eight fifty, and in a stubborn fit, remained idly in the room. When it was five minutes past nine, she picked up her bag and left the room.

The hallway was empty, and only when she reached the top of the stairway did she see Mohammed and the General standing at the door. He looked smoking hot in a black suit, but as their gazes locked, she noticed he looked upset. She derived a twisted satisfaction from it. Good for him. A few moments later, Des reached the foot of the stairs.

"If Sekoni calls," the General said to Mohammed as he turned to leave. "Take down the message." Flippantly, he said to her, "Let's go."

Des expected to see a bevy of soldiers standing outside waiting to escort them, but the compound was empty, and they were alone. He led her to a black Benz she had never seen before. "Get in," he said, walking to the driver's side. She slipped into the vehicle, resting her head against the cold leather seat. The General got into the driver's seat and slammed the door. In the private setting of the car, Des squirmed at how private it all felt.

"What time did I tell you to be down?" The General questioned, turning his head to face her. As brave as she wanted to act, Des couldn't look into his eyes. "I know you hear me talking."

"Nine."

"What time did you come down?"

Des sniffed. "Nine o five."

Instead of responding, the General fired the ignition and charged out of the compound. It was late, but the city was alive with lights and activities. He sped down the road, while Des kept her head turned towards the window. She was very upset and scared. The General didn't bother to fill the emptiness with conversation, and neither did she. After a few minutes, they drove into an empty garage that was darker than the rest of the city. Des sat up, her heart thudding in her chest.