11

"The next time you try that, we will have a serious problem."
    — General Babalola

It was one of those tasking days where Mohammed was constantly running around the office, reading and organizing files while the General worked. They were in the home office in his Wuse apartment, and Mohammed was currently standing at the shelf, searching for a specific binder 003 amongst hundreds of binder 003s.

The General was at the desk, a frown etched on his face as he skimmed over a file, while Major Dan was relaxed on the couch, not looking the least bit interested in whatever they had going on.

"Mohammed!" The General suddenly snapped, causing Mohammed to jump and hit his fingers on the mahogany edge of the shelf. He shook his hand painfully and took a deep breath. "Just a minute, sir," he answered, his desperation mounting as he scanned the shelf. All the binders looked and were numbered the same. Binder 003...

A loud peal sliced the air and Mohamed jumped again, realizing seconds later that it was the phone in his pocket. He heard Major Dan chuckle behind him as he withdrew the phone. "Why are you so jumpy, Mohammed? Are you stressed?"

"No sir," Mohammed turned to the General who was already glaring harshly at him. "It's Sekoni, sir."

"Take it. Direct it to my buds."

"Your buds are in your room, charging," Mohammed answered. "Should I go get them?"

The General touched a finger to his ear distractedly. "No time," he said. "Take the call. Put it on speaker." Mohammed obeyed.

"Hello, sir," Sekoni greeted and went straight to business. "The only thing I traced to Busari was a dead smartwatch and a dead smartphone."

"And?"

"I would need more time to access the phone remotely..." Mohammed tensed when the General narrowed his eyes. "But I did access the smartwatch and found some information you could work on." They heard the click-clack of Sekoni typing on his laptop. "Busari took a series of calls a few hours before his death, the strangest being from Mr. Lanre Adejana."

"The Minister of Works?" Major Dan said in shock, sitting up from his relaxed pose. Sekoni didn't respond. "Speak, Sekoni. He's with me," the General assured.

"Alright," Sekoni answered. "Yes, the Minister of Works. He called at four forty-five p.m. The call lasted for two minutes. I've made a draft on Mr. Adejana, and you'll receive it in three, two..." the phone beeped. "Now."

"I need to know what's on that phone," the General said. "I'm not paying for you to give me excuses."

"I'm sorry, sir. If it was on, it would be easier. But I'm on it, I'll get it to you in no time."

"Beside Lanre Adejana, who were the other callers?"

"His wife," Sekoni paused. "And the President, His Excellency Anini M. Abuba—"

"Enough," the General barked. "Get to work." Mohammed recognized the tone of finality and ended the call.

"Why is the President part of Busari's callers?" MG Dan moved to the seat across from the General. "Especially hours before his death? I'm not saying it's suspicious but—"

"It's suspicious." The General frowned. "Who is this Lanre Adejana?" He asked. "I don't know him."

"Me neither." MG Dan shrugged. The General glanced up at Mohammed suddenly. "Why are you just standing there? Open the document Sekoni sent." With shaky hands, Mohammed did as he was told.

Sekoni had sent the document in his usual format, highlighting all the necessary details about the character, and pointing out their strengths and weaknesses. Mohammed briefly remembered the first time Sekoni sent a document in that format. The General had taken one look at it and given a rare nod of approval; one that made Mohammed envious because he had never gotten it.