9

"As a commodity, it's up to you to determine whether you'd be an asset or a liability, but be rest assured that whatever you choose to become, I'd treat you as such."

— General Babalola

"Don't ever speak to me like you speak to those sissy men who fuck you at that stupid place you work. I'm not a pansy boy, I'll fuck you up badly, I promise you."

— General Babalola

                                        xXx

A noise coming coming from downstairs jarred her awake the next morning. It wasn't like she was fully asleep, but she had dozed off some time around five a.m burdened with the fear of being in this big, strange house all by herself.

She heard the noise again and climbed down the bed. She could faintly hear someone talking, and as she walked closer, the voice became clearer even though she couldn't make out exact words.
It was Mohammed.

She pulled the door open and raced down the hall.

When she appeared at the landing on the second floor, she immediately saw Mohamed standing by the doorway, talking to three other men.

She started to take the stairs slowly, and when the men heard movement, they turned in her direction. .
She saw their eyes fasten to her chest like magnet, before moving slowly down her body.
It was then she realized she was still in her shorts.
She didn't care, though, let them look.

"Good morning, Miss Des," Mohammed finally spoke, plastering on a smile.

"Oh please." Des stopped on the first floor landing and crossed her arms. "Call me Des. Good morning."

"Did you sleep well, Des?"

"No," she fumed. "I was all alone in the entire house."
She knew she sounded petulant right now, but didn't care. It had been a big source of worry to her, so there was no way she wouldn't talk about it.
"How could you leave me in this strange place all alone? Without even telling me?"

"You weren't alone." Mohammed's answering smile was patronizing. "This one is Wonu." He pointed to the first guy beside him who just stared back at her without a word.
"He's the one at the gate."

"He was there last night?"

"Yes. We couldn't possibly leave you here all alone."

"Where is the General?"

Silence followed her question, and the men exchanged glances.

"He's busy," Mohammed answered with grace. "I'll introduce you to the new staff."

"What?" Before she could ask what he was on about, Mohammed called out a name.

"Adeiza!"

A guy came out of the kitchen with an apron looped around his neck. He was really handsome, and Des turned back to Mohammed with narrowed eyes.
What is going on here?

"This is Adeiza," Mohammed explained. "He would be taking care of kitchen duties for the time you'll be here."

"What?"

"General's orders." Mohammed shrugged before turning back to the handsome youth. "Thank you, Adeiza. You can go."

The guy smiled at her before disappearing back into the kitchen. At least he was smiling.
The three other guys were still frowning their faces, and as Mohammed drew her attention back to them, their frowns intensified.
What was their problem?