27(2)

"Chioma, stop touching me."
    — General Babalola

As soon as President Anini alighted the vehicle, he was immediately flanked by armed security guards, who dogged his footsteps and followed him towards the building. When they reached the house's entrance, all the guards fell away, allowing only the President to walk into the premises.

The living room was empty, and as he climbed the stairs to the main room, his phone rang. He didn't want to take the call, but when he looked at the screen and saw Lanre's name, he paused. Since Lanre handed them the weapons, he had travelled back to Lagos, and they hadn't heard from him.

President Anini stared at the screen briefly before taking the call. "Hello, Lanre."

"With all due respect, Mr President, I  thought I made it clear that I did not want to be involved in whatever business you and Fisher have going on."

"Please be more specific," the President answered. "I'm on my way to a meeting, and I don't have time for guessing games." 

"What did you do to Benson Wike's son?"

"Benson Wike?"

"Yes! Benson thinks I went after his son because I was attacked at his party by the General. What is going on?"

Truly, President Anini heard of the boy's death, but he wasn't in any way involved. "I don't even know this boy," he said to Lanre. "I'm as confused as you are."

"Ask that bastard Fisher!" Lanre growled. "None of you know the origin of Benson and I. If I discover that Fisher has a hand in Chima's death, this will get very sour."

"Are you threatening me, Lanre?"

"I've known that boy since he was a teenager. He was a brilliant and outstanding boy. Benson and I have history, damn it! If you or Fisher is involved in this death, then trust me, I will ruin everything."

With a beep, the call ended. President Anini stared at the phone for a few seconds, his head shuttling different thoughts. He had met Benson Wike once or twice but was never close to him, nor did he know his son.

Although the General had attacked Lanre at Benson's party, he had never thought to punish Benson for it because that didn't make any sense.

But now that he was thinking about it, impulsive thoughts were Fisher's speciality, and he knew it was something Fisher could do. He was supposed to be in the meeting room upstairs five minutes ago, but he knew that he would be distracted if he didn't make a quick call to Fisher.

Quickly, he returned to the empty living room and dialled Fisher's number. Fisher picked up immediately. "Hello, Mr. President."

"Fisher, what did you do to Benson's son?"

Fisher was always quick to respond and defend, so the silence that followed the President's question was enough proof of Fisher's involvement in the boy's death.

"Are you crazy?" President Anini yelled. "Are you out of your mind? Why will you make such a big decision without involving anyone?"

"Well, I was upset with the General and was in my feelings about his attack on Lanre, especially when Lanre wouldn't stop talking down on my ability to provide adequate security."

"So why attack Benson's son? Why didn't you attack the General himself? Wasn't he the one who attacked Lanre?"

Fisher had nothing to say.

"And did you think Lanre would not find out?"

"I warned Benson to keep it a secret, or his family will go for it. Lanre found out?"