13

"I was attacked in my hotel room. The one you paid for, and none of the security was aware."
    — Minister Lanre Adejana

"Ify!" Des hollered into the phone.  "I've missed you!"

"Ah, Des, we spoke two days ago," Ify chuckled. "Are you that lonely?"

"Talking on the phone is not enough," Des groaned. "I want to see you."

"That's it, I've been wondering whether they locked you in a prison over there," Ify said. "Should we trend a hashtag? Are you doing okay? Why are you not allowed to step out of the house?"

"Hashtag?" Des laughed. "I'm okay now. Look, I'm not defending the General o, but he's not holding me hostage. Honestly."

"Really?" Ify sounded a bit calmer. "You have to come back to the club, Des. Raina is taking over, you know how it is. When your clients come looking, and don't find you, they settle for Raina. And you know she's really good, so now, every night, it's Raina!"

"What?" Des' heart fell.

"Look..." Ify whispered. "Last night at the dressing room, Raina was preparing for her day off, she shared seven hundred thousand with the girls. Word is, she made five million in a week."

"What?!"

"And that's not all," Ify was back to her normal tone. "George is back, did you hear?"

"Eruku told me last week when he called."

"Did George call you?"

"No." Des sighed. "I think he's still a little upset."

"Well, he has been coming to the club often, and I see him and Raina together sometimes. You know Raina likes him, even when you both were together. I don't know, but you should get back here."

Des struggled to rein her jealousy. Raina was very good at her job, and above all, Raina was her friend. It wasn't Raina's fault that Des decided to disappear from Safari on claims that her non-existent aunt was sick. However, she had to find a way to get back. She didn't plan on staying in Safari forever, but until she finished paying off her debts, she had to remain at the top. Only the top can give her the financial liberty to pay her debts. If she dropped down below Raina, she would have a lot of trouble feeding; let alone paying her debts.

"Are you there, Des?"

"Yes, you know what? Eruku said there is a show tomorrow, I'll be there."

Ify whooped excitedly. "Yasss, that's my girl. I'll see you, okay? Now, let me prepare for my next client."

"Alright babe, bye."

A few minutes after the call, Des hopped off the bed. It was still a little early, maybe she could catch the General down at the dining. The Safari show was tomorrow, and she had not told the General about it yet. His response didn't matter because she would go, regardless. However, it was only polite to tell him since she was staying at his house.

Since that night he drove off after the masked party, she had not set eyes on him. The day after, she had gone to his room to find him, but Mohammed had stopped her at the door saying the General didn't want to see her. What an ungrateful jerk! She couldn't believe he would treat her like that after risking her head to get him Minister Lanre's address.

Des walked past the General's door, fighting the temptation to knock because that would only cause her further embarrassment. If he wasn't at the dining table yet, she would rather sit in the living room and wait for him. She couldn't tell if he was around or not, since he was always cooped up inside.