❄️🌕🥀🫐Chapter 18🫐🥀🌕❄️

"And remember not to tell the other Clans any secrets that they can use against us," Sootfeather drilled into them

"And remember not to tell the other Clans any secrets that they can use against us," Sootfeather drilled into them. Then her green gaze softened. "Be sure to get to know as many cats as you can. One day you might face each other in battle, and it will be useful if you already know them."

After the light grey tabby she-cat had disappeared into the crowd, Larkpaw suddenly felt quite cramped. Now she was at her first Gathering, and she never expected it to be so impressive.

They were on Willow Island, a small island in the middle of the river, in the centre of which stood the eponymous willow and in front of that, a large rock. The shore of the island was overgrown with ferns and reeds.

"Well then," Larkpaw mumbled. "Which Clan do we want to go to first? LaurelClan or SnowClan?"

"Um, I actually wanted to look for Swallowfern," Amberpaw replied shyly. "I think I can smell her scent."

Larkpaw checked the air intently, but the numerous scents of the different cats were so intense that she couldn't pick out a single one. Amberpaw really does have an exceptionally good sense of smell, if she can tell that. "Alright, but I'm not particularly keen on seeing any cat from MoonClan again. I'll see you when the Gathering starts."

With a wave of her tail in farewell, Amberpaw trotted off. Larkpaw turned slowly in a circle. Where should I go first?

The deputies of the Clans were standing at the roots of the willow: Honeyclaw from RoseClan, Nightblossom from MoonClan and Redleaf from LaurelClan. Larkpaw felt a small pang of pride when she remembered the name of the LaurelClan tom. The only question is what the deputy of SnowClan is called, Larkpaw pondered as she memorised the shapes of the orange patches on the white fur.

Taking a deep breath, Larkpaw took a step, and then another. The Gathering was something special, so she couldn't waste an opportunity to learn something new.

Soon after, she spotted two cats who looked just as lost as she did. Larkpaw sniffed inconspicuously. They couldn't be from MoonClan anyway, because she knew everyone from there and she didn't think Hailstar would take in strange cats so easily. They didn't belong to SnowClan either, though, firstly because they were too small and too short-haired, and secondly because they didn't have the scent that Larkpaw knew from her border patrols. So they must be from LaurelClan. 

"Hello!" Larkpaw purred and jumped up to the two cats. "My name is Larkpaw and I'm from RoseClan. And today is my first time at a Gathering!" Her voice unintentionally rose a little with the last words.

The black LaurelClan she-cat with the white paws and the white chest curled her tail upwards in delight. "Terrific! I'm Meadowpaw and this..." She nudged the light grey-blue tabby tom beside her with her muzzle, "...is Skypaw, my brother. We're from LaurelClan."

"I have a sister," Larkpaw explained eagerly. This isn't a secret, is it? Amused, she thought back to what Sootfeather had just said. She didn't even know the secrets of RoseClan — if there were any at all. "Her name is Amberpaw, but she's somewhere else right now." Larkpaw avoided saying where exactly she was, fearing she would have to give a reason.