❄️🌕🥀🫐Chapter 09🫐🥀🌕❄️

Heavy, dark clouds were hanging in the sky

Heavy, dark clouds were hanging in the sky. The smell of rain intensified gradually over time. It had been a while since the cats stepped onto RoseClan land. Back then, the weather was nice and warm. Now, however, it seems like a storm was rising.

Since it was Greenleaf, the forest was lush and green, with various new scents of plants and animals all around. Moss covered tree stumps and roots, all kinds of shrubs grew around the broad trunks, while the trees stretched their spreading leaves high up.

Larkkit wished she could stop every now and then to check out an interesting spot, but the other cats continued their journey without showing any consideration for the young she-kit's curiosity. Here's so much more than in MoonClan territory, she realised. How am I supposed to not get lost every day? Imagining a scenario like this, she purred.

Every now and then, Larkkit looked around for Amberkit. Unlike herself, the golden-red she-kit hadn't made a sound yet, just trotted along with a fixed gaze.

Larkkit jumped next to her. "Is everything alright?" she whispered.

All she got in reply was a prone snort.

"It's hard for me to understand, too," Larkkit continued, hoping to show Amberkit that she wasn't alone. "But we just have to accept that we're not MoonClan cats."

Amberkit stopped abruptly and whirled around. "I don't care if I'm MoonClan or RoseClan, or any other Clan. I just want Swallowfern back," she hissed before running on.

Larkkit had trouble following her. Her littermate moved between the trees much easier than she did. Do I want to go back to Swallowfern? She was surprised at herself when she caught herself thinking this dubious thought. After all, she was lying to us. But then again, she was also nursing us. We would've died without her.

Filled with heavy frustration, Larkkit expelled the air between her teeth. Why did her life have to be so complicated all of a sudden?

Finally, she caught up with Amberkit and the RoseClan cats again. The terrain was getting flatter by now and a loud rushing sound came from the distance.

"Make sure you don't fall back," Gooseleap commented as Larkkit pulled herself up the last slope, panting. This was the longest distance she had ever walked in her short life, and it seemed like it would be even longer, for far and wide she could neither see a camp nor smell its cats.

"It looks like rain," Honeyclaw said, twitching his nose. "We'd best take a short break here to hunt."

Larkkit dropped to the ground. Her legs felt as heavy as stones.

The patrol found shelter next to a fallen tree, new branches sprouting from its bark. While Honeyclaw, Patternleaf and Gooseleap went hunting, Palestar and Heatherwing stayed with Larkkit and Amberkit.

There was an awkward silence for a while. Larkkit wondered if she should say anything or if that would be considered rude. In any case, she didn't want to leave a bad impression.