A Circus Of Incidents

MAYA POV

Returning to work felt bittersweet... in the morning before I'd actually gone to work. I'd woken up to Isabella crawling onto me, happily babbling away. Carina was sitting against the headboard and just smiling at the scene in front of her. This moment alone was enough for me to want to stay in bed and never return to work but someone has to earn money. Carina is yet to return, we're waiting to see how I get on with returning before she does, I'm essentially the test subject.

Driving to work was the same as it always had been. I passed the numerous fire hydrants, trees, and coffee places, before the roads opened up. Station 19 stood proudly at the end of the road, the bright red branding on the front clearly stated to anyone that this was a station.

Entering the station, I looked to see who was manning the desk. It was Jack, he'd slowed down his working ours now that Jo was pregnant, it was still a shock to me that they'd worked out. As he noticed me, his eyes widened and looked towards my office. The shades were down, it felt like a surprise was coming but not so much a pleasant one. Wanting nothing more than to get the day over so that I could get home, I trundled into my office. I was right about a not so pleasant surprise; it was my mom.

"Hi sweetie" were the first words that left her mouth, she looked happy as she smiled widely at my entrance.

"What are you doing here?" I ask, rounding the desk and slowly unpacking all of the goods I'd taken from home. Carina had cooked for the station; she'd packed my bag full of photos of our family amongst over much more pleasant surprises than the one currently in front of me.

"I wanted to apologise... again" she says, the smile on her face faltering. I bored into her eyes as I waited for her to explain herself. "I'm sorry for what I said at the hospital, I'm sure your brother told you everything. I should never have insinuated anything, I am sorry" she begins, a sarcastic chuckle leaves my body at the power she thinks an apology has.

"Words are pointless, thank you for the niceties but if there's nothing else, I'd really appreciate you leaving my office and station" I say, already feeling like I'm over this conversation.

"I actually wanted to say that I've been going to therapy since the birth of your little girl. I want to be in her life, but I understand that there is a big chance that won't happen and if it did, it would take a lot of work. I've talked to my therapist about the past and how I treated you and your brother. I actually started my first ever therapy session the day I got kicked out of the hospital" she says carefully, her eyes flitting from all different places on my face and body as if she's trying to read my body language. As if she's trying to understand how her words are affecting mine.

"Good on you for going into therapy. Everyone should do it, I do it and so does my wife and Mason. I wanted to actually ask you about your relationship with dad. Did you ever think of leaving earlier and taking your kids? I got a letter a few months back by dad talking about his relationship with you and how he injured himself to get out of his dad's control, it's a funny sentiment really." I smile but there's a look of sorrow shared between us.

"I did think about leaving, I hated your father when he forced you into being competitive-" she starts but is interrupted by me.

"So, you just waited it out until your son was kicked out of the house and your dear daughter had won a gold medal?" I question before carrying on. "Dad never forced me into being competitive, he forced me to continue being competitive. It's funny, after that letter I saw you as a victim. For the first time in several years, I recognised that you were hurt by my dad. The funny thing is that after the letter I felt like I could hate you, I could hate you for wanting to leave without me. Mason was long gone, and I'd just entered adulthood. I had to navigate your dead husband's funeral because I had no way of communicating with you. And now you're back, wanting forgiveness when there is so much for me to forgive. And the sad thing is, I'd want you to be in Isabella's life as a grandparent. She has two grandparents, one in Italy and you. If you're serious about wanting to change things, you need to change yourself before you even think about interrupting my little girl's life. You can get my number from Mason, but don't use it excessively. My family is all that I'm focusing on, until you prove yourself, you are nothing" I say seriously. I'd had this speech engraved in my brain for months. I'd figured I'd see my mom and I had to be prepared. Just as my speech finished, I looked up to see her with tears in her eyes, but she was nodding, seemingly agreeing with the points I'd made. Before any more words could be uttered the alarm rang throughout the station.